Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PIZZA STONE / TOO MUCH HEAT ON FELT SEAL

Options
smokin n jokin
smokin n jokin Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently cooked a pizza at 500 degrees with the plate setter and pizza stone on my medium egg. This setup caused "hot spots" where the openings in the plate setter were and caused my seal to fail in these spots. Does anyone have comments or ideas on this topic?

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    My gasket has been charred and befiddles for near on to two years...

No big deal -- Keep on a-cookin'!

~ Broc

:)B);)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    yawnnnnn...

brace yourself to be told it was YOUR fault and NOT that the gasket is inferior. Also you'll be told you should have cured your gasket for many moons. That folkfore came from a post that took on a life of its own.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Two things come to mind. Get a smaller pizza stone and elevate it slightly above the plate setter
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Only advice I can give is to try to get the stone up higher in the dome....same thing happened to me. I've been cooking with a fried gasket for a month or so. Really haven't noticed much of a difference. I've got ribs on right now that have been holding perfectly at 250 for about 5 hours. Like Broc says, keep on cookin'.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    'Mass' close to the gasket sure will play heck with the adhesive/gasket.

I had a very large dutch oven seasoning . Part of the DO was close to the gasket. Dome at 450°. The adhesive/gasket failed where the DO was close to the edge.

That got me to wondering. Normally the grid temp is lower than the dome temp. However, it furnature is inside the egg, such as Cast Iron or furniture (plate setter, ceramic stilts, pizza stone) those items themself can very easily be hotter than dome temp.

In my case the empty DO was very effectively absorbing and transmitting heat from the lump. The DO was 150° higher than the dome temp.

The same DO with liquid or food inside will not get as an empty DO.

Did the adhesive fail and/or did the gasket melt?

Anyway, RRP is correct in his post above - the cure is folklore.

GG