Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gustav Update From The Suncoast Of FL...

Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not looking too good from today's 2:00pm, EDT advisory. Gustav is now a catagory '4' hurricane that has yet to pass over western Cuba! Even at a few hundred miles away we're getting intense bands of rain, gusty winds and thunderstorms from the periphery of the circulation. If you are in, or anywhere near its projected path, please head for a safe haven now! God bless you!!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    That is a scary looking storm. Good luck to all in it's path.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Hey Pat, I can't belive it but we are getting Gustav's bands already. Winds and rain 25 mph. Glad I stocked up on Bombay. Looks like it is going to be a long week with the effects of both storms. :unsure:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Thanks Rascal. That is all that is playing on the TV right now. Can't even watch football. :( Everything is gassed up and I'm prepared to ride this sucker out. I'll keep posting as long as the phone lines don't go out.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Thinking of you all [or is it, "y'all"?]

Be safe!

~ Broc
  • FlaPoolman
    Gonna take a bit to reach us but rain or shine I'm cooking just not tonight :( :angry: . Brother inlaws 50'th Bday so family gathering at local Italian place. Stocked up with BB ribs, pork tenderloins, leg quarters, salmon, abt's, hamburgers and ribeye's all before Tuesday. Neighbors will eat good :)
  • bubba tim
    Damn boy! If we evac from here and go north, I know who to visit.... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • FlaPoolman
    Anytime. Have a LBGE for each of us to cook on and plenty of lump. If thats not enough food we'll raid the freezer for the jumbo shrimp and snow crab. (crab was on sale for $4.99 a pound yesterday so stocked up.
  • FlaPoolman
    Be safe and good luck Mike. Does your house sit high?
  • bubba tim
    do you really think I would leave my egg to the looters?
    That is why I drive a pick-em-up. I go, it goes. :)
    Thx for the offer.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Ya'll need to get out of dodge... Batten down the eggs and move... Better yet take the eggs with ya..

Cat 5 Hurricanes are nothing to laugh at..
  • Mike in Abita
    I'm at 31' elevation. New Orleans would be under 40 feet of water before I'd flood. Just have to duck and dodge a few tornados. Generator checked out and full of fuel. Just a wait and see kinda thing. NOAA has this thing slightly shifting West. I hope that forcast holds true. The further west the better for me. I'm worried about Frank in Houma. He's at a much lower elevation, and closer to the eye.

Thanks Pat
  • Mike in Abita
    Thanks Pete

I'll keep an eye on it and make a last minute move if I need to. All the models have this thing loosing strength before coming ashore.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Yeah losing strength to a Cat 4.. Katrina and Rita were Cat 3s.

If you are close to Houston MOVE!!!
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    I thought they discontinued bombay gin. I can't find it anywhere. I bought cases of the stuff at a close out about 8 years ago. My liver paid the price. Good luck to you guys down there. Keep yourselves safe. Tom
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Hope you are all save, wish there was something we could do for ya'll.

GG
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Frank and Maria stopped by the Chicken Ranch yesterday after a longer than usual ride west from Houma. They know what's coming and realize they can't do anything about it but go somewhere safe. They had already planned to visit their son in Katy, Texas (just west of Houston) so it now looks like they will be staying a few days longer.

But they both clearly understand what a hurricane can do, especially to areas that are low and near the coast. Their home is about 2 clicks off dead center if the projections are right. I've been to Houma and I know it to be very low and very flat so I'm sure it will take a beating.

On a second note, I received an email from Chef Wil (remember him?) saying they are setting up a command post in his restaurant in Lafayette. Its on a main evacuation route and they are offering a place where people can take a break, get something to eat, and most of all a place to catch on on the latest news. Wil took in about five families during the Katrina/Rita mess. Good man.

Interestingly, these people along the Louisiana coast get knocked down and even out but they get right back up and start the rebuilding process almost immediately. They didn't have FEMA fifty years ago so they learned to help each other. It still works like that today, and very well I might add.

It's looking like we missed another one but we sure feel for those in Gustov's path, including Spring Hen's sister in New Orleans. They didn't wait for a call for evacuation. They know better.

Spring "Riding Out The Big One" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA