Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top Sirloin roast

Options
DigitalEgg
DigitalEgg Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all - my first time to post here and hoping for some help.

Have had a large BGE for a few months now. Have had some successes and numerous painful failures. :( Did do a pizza last night (Papa Murphy's) and it was fantastic. :P

Spent $20 on a three pound top sirlon about 21/2 to 3 inches thick. I want to slow roast it to about medium. I'm thinking I should do it indirect with the plate setter under the grate.

Any suggestions as to temp, time and spice?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Rub it with paste made with EVOO, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. (not punning this time)

You can add fresh garlic to the rub if you like.

I'd Roast it at 275-300. Probably less then an hour. You need to keep an eye on it.
  • Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    I T-Rex my steaks. They come out great. Here's the link
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

Oh yea, and WELCOME to the board
  • Ike Witt
    Ike Witt Posts: 195
    Options
    I would rub with your fav. steak rub.
    Sear both sides for about 2 mins. around 600+

Let the roast rest , just as in Trex'n a steak, shut down the egg to get to approx 400 dome. I do something
    a little different than most at this point. I go indirect until internal temp hits about 110. At this point i pull the plate setter and continue to roast direct until desired temp, which for med would be around 145.

Remove from grill and foil,rest, for another 10 mins or so.

I have found that switching from indirect to a direct
    finish increases the juices and the roast is more tender.. Why, i dont have a clue...just know that it works for me.

best
    allen
  • Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    I'll have to try that with my next steak
  • DigitalEgg
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions. Here's what I did.

I had a 3# plus piece of Top Sirloin about 2+ inches thick. I took it out of the 'frig about an hour before cooking.

I cleaned out the firebox and added fresh lump. Wasn't too particular about placing it by hand. Just dumped it in and then stirred it around to get the dust to settle out. Probably not proper technique but what the hey.

Used my MAPP torch and fired her up and left the lid up to get it good and hot as per the "Trex" instructions. Ten or so minutes before grilling I rubbed the exterior with fresh ground pepper and kosher salt. I didn't use any oil as last time I did this I had a hell of a charring fire.

With the lid up I seared each side for approx three to five minutes. Gave it a half rotation half way through each side to give it some pretty "grid" marks.

Took the meat off the grill and covered it with foil. Added the plate setter and got the grill back to 400. After ten minutes of resting I put the meat back on.

At ten minutes I checked with an instant read therm and had 105 degrees. Let it go another ten minutes and then pulled it and let it sit for ten minutes. Wished I had pulled it after five minutes.

It was very juicy and moderately tender. It was medium to medium plus on the interior - very little red.

Next time I think I'll reduce the time from 20 minutes to 15 and maybe marinade it first for awhile to add more flavor.

The key is - I didn't burn the damn thing!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again.