Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More BGE-as-pizza oven advice

Options
jpwilkin
jpwilkin Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, thanks to all for all of the feedback you've given on cooking pizza in a BGE. Going at something north of 650 deg, we've had several extraordinarily amazing pizzas. I was musing today about the differences between a wood-fired pizza oven and the BGE, and particularly the open top on the BGE as compared to the opening on a pizza oven. This led me to wonder whether the heat might not be more similar if I (a) got the BGE up to the desired temp, (b) popped the cap on the BGE and put the pizza on the hot stone, and (c) propped the lid open slightly with something heat-proof like the little ceramic feet provided with the BGE. Is this a nutty idea?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Not a nutty idea...experimentation is fun.

I would think that your idea however puts the gasket at enormous risk.
  • Large Marge
    Options
    sounds like you might let in far too much oxygen from below (and too much escaping around it), but I've never tried that. I really like the closed dome convecting around the pie. Something about the dryness of it all compared to a conventional oven with stone - I've never had a bad crust. Though I've never used an outdoor pizza oven either, they seem to be popping up all over Atlanta.

Marge
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I Agree. I also wonder if it would be a bit difficult to control the temp.

It will be interesting to see how this comes out.

Kent
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Have you tried calzones yet? YUM!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Not yet, it is something I need to try them sometime. I have been playing around with some pizza sauces but I haven't come up with anything I really like.

CWM has me jealous over his breadsticks. There are just too many things I want to get cooking. We should be at 97° tomorrow and the weather guessers are saying we will be at 67° for a high Sunday. First brisk day of the fall.

Sounds like it would be a great day to whip up some chili.

We will have 20 to 30 days of cooling off then it is possile we will get some snow. Every year is different. Oh, I hate thinking about that.

GG
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    why mess with "extrordinarily amazing" success
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • JB
    JB Posts: 18
    Options
    I have an EX BGE, and when I had my heat that high, it burned the crust before the top could finish. I had a crispy bottom with a doughy, unfinished center. How did you do it at 650? I figured after that incident to tone it down to 350 so the plate setter wouldn't burn the bottom as fast, and let the rest cook.

JB