Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first attempt at ABT's---not good, help

Options
BHE1
BHE1 Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having company over tomorrow so I thought I would try to make ABT's today as a test run. I cooked them direct (without extended grate) at a temp of 350 for 40 minutes. The problem is the bacon did not cook through and the jalapenos were burnt. I think my problem with the bacon is I used thick cut bacon, probably should have used thin cuts???? Do I need a grate extender or can I use my platesetter???

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Comments

• Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Options
    Cook them indirect.

Doug
    Dallas,Ga
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Cook indirect. I used thick bacon one time, and it all turned out way too greasy. I think I remember ruining one of my new shirts because there was too much bacon greast and it dripped on the stomach area of my shirt. Oh well, it wasn't the first time. The thinner bacon makes a much better ABT.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Thin Bacon. Indirect. Some people use only half a slice of Bacon.

*For some odd reason I feel the need to capitalize the word Bacon......
  • Essex County
    Options
    Like the others, indirect is easier. I cook them at about 275 for 20-30 minutes to sweat the (thin) bacon and then jack the temp up to 375 or so and get them crisp in another 5 minutes. You can even use proscuitto if you want.
    Paul
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I skewer the little fellas & hang'm right on the drip pan for 1 hour at 400, like this:

IMG_1359.jpg

Never fails
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • LESAGEMIKE
    Options
    If you want to use thick bacon it helps to precook it some in the microwave. Thin is better and indirect is only way to go. I also like to hit them with some apple wood smoke. I only use thick when I have forgotten to buy thin.
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    Indirect, 350, 45 minutes exactly. Perfect every time.

Full size piece of center cut bacon, not precooked, not thick sliced either.

jaoo3g069.jpg

jaoo3g072.jpg

jaoo3g073.jpg

jaoo3g075.jpg

I also do the exact same thing with green pepper rings and no cream cheese... and put a piece of provolone over the top. Can eat em like a burger if you want :)

malikiliki032.jpg

malikiliki034.jpg