Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

838 registrations for Eggtoberfest so far!!

reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm so excited about the upcoming Eggtoberfest. Just got our 1st egg in late June and we're totally addicted to it. We're going to Oswegofest to buy a 2nd demo egg there. Anyway, I just checked the Eggtoberfest site and it's up to 838 registered already. How many people usually attend? We're really excited to go, after being on the forum night after night it's amazing what a great group of people the "Eggers" are. It will be fun to meet everone face to face. Does anyone know why there's a whole group of people registered from GA that don't list their name and they want to remain private. Seems a little weird to me.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Registration is capped at 1500 people.

That many will attend, though not at once. People will come and go throughout the day - but expect a big crowd from 9:00 to 5:00.
  • reelgem
    Thanks! That will be soooo exciting. It's funny reading the different things that people are going to cook. Do you purchase food from the different cooks or how does that work?
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Morning reelgem:

You don't purchase food at all. The cooks are giving it away to the first few who can get to it before it disappears. Also, as to the group from GA that are not listing the names, my guess is that is the BGE employees and their guests (but that is only a guess). Looking forward to meeting new friends.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Are you going to cook there? Please do, Nancy is very worried that she won't have enough people cooking to feed all the non cookers. I'm sure we'll work it out, but please cook, its a blast! -RP
  • reelgem
    Oh my goodness there is no way my husband and I could cook there. We're brand new to this and one of the reasons we're going is to learn more. We'll feel more comfortable cooking next year. There has to be people coming that have more "eggsperience" than us that will cook.
  • AZRP
    Hey I'll be there and will be perfectly willing to help you in any way, just figure on cooking, you'll have a lot more fun. -RP
  • reelgem
    I have to put this past hubby. We'll have to do some serious practicing before we go. My husband does most of the cooking and I do the prep. When you're at these fests where do you do the prep work?
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    I'll prep everything at home which is 25 miles away.
    I can also help with anything you need on Saturday, in fact there is a fellow newbie egger from work that is gonna stick with me as well. There will be plenty of others willing to give you a hand also.
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    WOW!
    you can help prep anytime! I will do most of my prep work on Thursday nite and Friday morning. Cooler everything in, pop a cool one, and wait for my sus chefs! Look for us in the North Ga. Eggers t-shirts...

ctredwell
    go dawgs
  • reelgem
    I just don't think the cooking thing is going to work this time. The problem we have is that we live in Milwaukee. We have to leave on Thurs. and spend part of Fri. at our Roselle, IL office. From there we'll be heading to Oswego.
  • Just registered-Friday night is more than 90% full (456 registered, capped at 500).

I noticed that for Saturday there are 845 registered with 132 cooking; that implies that as of now, for each attendee to get the equivalent of one meal, each cook will need to prepare enough full-meal-equivalents to satisfy 6-7 folks (obviously taste-sized servings will be smaller than a meal, but that's how the arithmetic works out; smaller servings just mean that people eat more of them).

I haven't cooked yet on a BGE, and will be acquiring my first at this Eggtoberfest, but it seems to me that they could use more cooks. If the most enthusiastic Eggers are the first to sign up, I might expect those signing up later to be less likely to cook. So, the ratio of eaters to cooks could get worse.

Has this been an issue in past Eggtoberfests? Maybe what I'm asking is, as a rookie, should I pack myself a sandwich or two? :ohmy:
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Morning Dave:

No need to pack a sandwich...if anything you will need to make sure your pants waist is expandable :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have never seen anyone go away hungry (not even HungryMan and HungryNephew).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• AZRP
    Sorry, that excuse won't work. We are flying into Ohare on Thursday and doing our prep in a hotel room. :cheer: -RP
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    I've only had my BGE for a few months and just missed the Austin-fest. What is an average turn outs for these various events? I had no idea Hotlanta would be this large and growing....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • If you look at the registration page - the people cooking get in "free", as in no registration fee. They bring, prepare, and serve based on their experience level and desires.

Trust me - there's no shortage of food.

You MIGHT want to bring several packets of wet-naps or equivalent, and it doesn't hurt to hang onto a fork and small plate as the day goes on (they seem to run out before the food). :ohmy:

Tom
  • AZRP
    They cut it off at 1500 and they reached it last year. -RP
  • Depending on your inclinations, you may want to pack a beer or two - they try, but the girls at the beer truck have problems keeping up with demand. :laugh:

Food will NOT be an issue! I have yet to see any of the cooks bring in 'minimal' amounts of food. Just keep walking, looking, and talking - pace yourself, you'll only want a couple of bites of any given item because there's SO much to try.

And then watch the forum AFTER the fest; wise one (Bill Wise) gathers the recipes together and posts them.

Tom
  • I attended two fests and then cooked last year, my third.

A lot of the prep can be done in the motel room on Friday, as long as the room has a fridge or you've got enough ice for your cooler. Take something to cover the desk or table.

Final prep and assembly takes place somewhere around the egg. BGE provides a number of 5 foot tables; many of the cooks also bring a table or two. Some of the people cooking also bring Easy-Up shelters.

It's a lot of fun, whether you cook or not!

Tom