Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Revisiting The beef clod

Fire Walker
Fire Walker Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you cook the Beef clod, like the clod that is offered at Costco which at least looks like a big 12lb ball of meat? I've had it in my hands before, infact it's been in my basket before but never left the store, possibly because it's hardly ever mentioned in the forum at least not with the reverence that Ribs, Butt and Brisket are. Is the Beef clod some how not a good choice for Egging or is it the new Everest of cooks like the Brisket was many years ago? I ask you is this territory worth exploring? Or is it just not a good cook?
FireWalker

Comments

• If it isn't to expensive I would buy it and throw it on my egg for some low and slow. Besides tofu, everything comes out better on the egg. Maybe this is the next egging must do...lead the way soldier!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    it makes good pulled beef, low and slow til about 210 degrees, foiling at about 180 degrees and adding some liquid at that time, i use seltzer water as its a tenderizer and doesnt add any off flavors. pulled beef is just about hte only meat i use a foil stage on, it needs to be foiled or put in a covered pot as it finishes cooking. i normally use a chuck roll as thats whats available to me, but its the same cook. some say the clod makes a better tasting pull, cook it just like a pulled pork except add a foil stage, or follow clayq's pulled beef recipe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Amen and Please take pictures from a couple of angles before the cook. Once it is out of the bag it will be easier for some of us to tell you what it is. If a shoulder clod [It will not be"ball" shaped more flat like a brisket. ] like in the other post one side will have what is called the chicken fry steaks or pan fry. This can be cut off cut into small steaks and grilled very much like a chuck eye steak. They will be oblong about the size of a deck of cards and have what looks like silver skin running down the middle of the meat. This silver skin will dissolve during the cook. The other side is the pot roast,
    Trying to figure out a piece of meat without pictures is tough.
    E
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Cook this internal to 225° and it will be 'spoon' tender, that is you can cut it with a spoon.

Should be fantastic.

GG
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Did you see my post down the page about it??? I have in my replies at the end of the thread a couple of links about clods.

If not here is the link to it.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=502005&catid=1

Here is a link to a video one being cooked but not in an egg. It's about 8 min. long and not perfect but you will get the idea.

http://bigironbarbecue.wordpress.com/2007/06/10/how-to-prepare-and-smoke-a-beef-clod

Hope that helps,
    Went to my Costco where they usually have a bunch but not this morning. :angry:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    GG Thanks, 225 it is. I will follow your guidelines. thanks rc
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Sorry, getting old over here. 225°

Above post correted.

GG
  • FW, I'd say the answer to your question depends on what you want to do with it. I do a LOT of chuck rolls and love them more than a brisket. That said, I like mine sliced down for sandwiches or serving on a plate, not pulled. I usually egg at 225 till 170 or there abouts. Always great. If you want to pull it, then I'd foil around 165 and continue till super tender, 195+