Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leaking MAPP Canister

ATX
ATX Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey y'all. Think I may have a problem here. I think I have a leaky canister of MAPP gas. I can hear it whooshing out slowly even after disconnecting the Benzo 8000. I know MAPP gas is toxic so what the hell do I do with this thing? It's on my porch now & No the wife won't let me use it as a grenade.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    leave it oput there until it stops and them dispose of it properly...

go buy a new one or take thast one back to where you bought it and get them to replace it... it should be ready for transport by the time you get home from work

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    No the wife won't let me use it as a grenade.

there went my idea.
  • ATX
    Thanks B. Now "dispose of it properly", what exactly does that entail? I don't want to just chuck it in the trash. I live in Austin TX and it's HOT out this time of year. Last thing I need is my trash can exploding.
  • BENTE
    i would think that if there is a leak you could just wait until it goes down and then just plug it up to your apparatas and hit the button (i have a ts 8000) and if no fire take it back and try to get youe 3 bucks back and buy a new one... if that does not work the politically correct answer is to take it to your local recycling place... me???? i chunk them :blush: and it gets pretty hot here also... we just got some rain i have only cut my grass 4 times this summer :pinch:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    I had the same problem with a slightly old propane canister. My solution was to reattach the nozzle and use the valve to keep it off. In fact I used the nozzle for my MAPP canister and have been using it to light my Egg for several months now.
  • ATX
    Cool, I'll just leave it outside overnight and check on it in the morning. Thanks again.
  • ATX
    So you just leave the nozzle mechanism attached to the canister at all times?
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    That's what I do. Just leave it attached until it runs out. Every now and then, I'll run a q-tip in the little hole at the beginning part of the nozzle to clean out the greasy/oily residue.
  • BENTE
    i leave mine attached also... i also leave it outside shine or that wet stuff ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I have an 8000. Keep it attached all the time. I do shut of the valve & turn the lock on the switch.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Yea leave the nozzle attached, if it makes you feel better, light the torch and lock it in place and it the sucker burn itself out.