Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portabella mushrooms

Options
FlaPoolman
FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Stared with 4 large caps, stems removed. In a bowl mixed (sorry didn't measure) EVOO, red wine vinagar, oregano and basil. Put mushrooms and mix in a sealed bag and back to the fridge for an hour.

101_2287.jpg

Raised grid direct at 400 gill side down for 8 minutes

101_2288.jpg

flipped and added a 4 cheese blend (I wanted to add half the veggie drawer but wife said no)

101_2289.jpg

about 2 minutes

101_2290.jpg

served with artichoke hearts

101_2291.jpg

quick and easy. another version is top like a pizza.

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Portabella, the meat of the vegatable world
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    lookin good !!!
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    How about artichoke dip on the portabella then add the cheese?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Lookin good Pat,but where's the beef? :lol: I do mushrooms the same way.The only thing different is the toppings.Whatever is in the fridge ;) Sometimes pepperoni,sometimes feta cheese,You never know around my house :whistle: :woohoo:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Great looking Pat. Portobellos are really great, with some imagination and you are eating the best burger in your life :laugh: ....well with a lot of imagination.........definitely healthier though.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Tim and Doug. These were for the wife did a ribeye for myself. I like them overstuffed with ground beef or pulled pork, tomatoes or salsa and a ton of cheese. Wife said keep them simple and we all know if the wife's happy the house is happy :whistle:
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    so true.. :blink: :blink:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Thanks Beli but I have to be careful. Too much healthy food will put my system in shock :ohmy:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Nice Pat,
    I like throwing some browned sausage on top. So many things you can do.
    sausageport.jpg

About time to start thinking about this long weekend. :woohoo:

Mike
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Pat,
    You are eating like a KING!
    Ross
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Mike,
    What are you going to cook! I'm going to play Golf and let some one else cook for me!
    Have a great long weekend,
    Ross
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    I love bellas and yours look awesome....never tried them with cheese, so it's on my list!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Have a good golf game Ross,
    Your plan sounds pretty darn good. :) I don't know for sure. I think I'm going to play around and eggsperiment this weekend. Bourbon Street Steaks one night, with Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole. I'm going to give those Cheesy Biscuits another shot.
    I have some homemade Honey Cured Pork Chops in the fridge for the Chefs game. :woohoo: There is a chance it will be good. ;)
    You play alot of golf?

Mike
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Wow Pat the the wife said she likes the looks of them. She wants to know why I don't cook them for her, I told her because I don't eat them.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Cheap and easy. Cook her up a few and get back in her good graces.The wives deserve it putting up with the likes of us. :whistle:
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Portabella's should be their own food group. Those look good.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Very nice, Pat. Those were the sides, right? Just wondering what to serve that with.

Thanks,
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Mike,
    Not a lot any more, but the cheese biscuits and the honey cured pork chops sound really good, care to give me the recipe?
    My Best,
    Ross
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Those look good. I like to stuff 'em with seafood and then smother 'em in cheese. Try adding a little splash of balsamic too! It takes 'em over the top.

Are you working tomorrow?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    It is knockoff of Red Lobsters.
    Dough:
    1 1/4 lbs. Bisquik
    3 Oz. freshly shredded cheddar cheese
    11 Oz. cold water
    Garlic Spread:
    1/2 cup melted butter
    1 teas. garlic powder
    1/4 teas. salt
    1/8 teas. onion powder
    1/8 teas. dried parsley
    To cold water, add Bisquik and cheese, blending in a mixing bowl.
    Mix until dough is firm.
    Using a small scoop, place the dough on a baking pan lined with
    baking paper. Bake in 375 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until
    golden brown. While biscuits bake, combine spread ingredients.
    Brush baked biscuits with the garlic topping. I brushed them a couple times while baking.

chb1.jpg

I'm going to cook these as well. Pita bread then add a crab meat stuffing.
    cs2.jpg
    cs1.jpg

Let me see how the chops come out.

Mike
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the creative ideas and great pictures.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Mike,
    Thanks, let me know how the chops turn out?
    Ross
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    now we need to know the pita thing ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    LOL Terry.
    I just took 5 slices of Pita Bread. Don't open up the pockets, cut in 6's. Brush each side with garlic butter or spray with pam. Both sides. Indirect at 400 or so until golden brown. You are going to have to flip once.

Have your crab meat chilled.
    2 Cans Millers Claw Crab Meat (drained)
    1/3 cup+ or to taste of Mayo
    2 tsp fresh lemon juice
    2 Tbsp Chopped Green onions
    Anything you might want to add to give it extra flavor.

Pull Pita bread, top with crab meat, sprinkle with parsley and serve. The pita bread is not good after chilling so serve quick or keep warm.

Mike
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    we may need to do a couple "Chef's Specials" of these in ATL???????

thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I'm good with that. They are really good. My first time speriments aren't coming out to bad. :woohoo: I just jinxed myself.

MIke
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    I have 2 sitting in the fridge right now. Those will be good tommorow night.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Just tonight, I did six 4” to 5” caps, along with Italian (spices) marinated chicken breasts!
    The “schrooms” were marinated in olive oil, dry red wine, a touch of salt and fresh ground mixed pepper.
    After a cook, gill side down at 400 F. for about 10 minutes, I flipped them and gave them a “sliming” of a basil pesto, a good topping of a sweet and hot pepper (onion and garlic is always a given) sauté and then topped them with a mix of cheddar, mozzarella, jack and feta cheese. Back on / in the Egg for about 5 minutes more...and out.
    They were excellent! The wife and daughter loved them…And I will do them again, and again!