Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potential Newbie Questions

andy_b
andy_b Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Through the help of this forum I am close to settling on a BGE. I have some left over questions.

1) Do you guys soak the wood chunks before adding them to the fire?

2) Can you cook a pizza on the place setter or are you suppose to buy a stone that goes on top of it?

3) What can I expect for a fair price for the following?

Large BGE, Large Nest, Large Place Setter, a basic grill extender and a pizza stone?

And what other accessories would a newbie need?

4) Do all BGE's now come with the protective screen for the door at the bottom for air inflow and to protect against embers flying out?

5) Is there any assembly of the BGE or is that something I could expect the place I purchase it at to do as part of the sale?

Comments

• Ike Witt
    Ike Witt Posts: 195
    I dont soak wood and i use chunks

don't use the top of the place setter, use a stone or alternative method.

egg 688, nest 90, plate setter 40, extender 25 stone not sure.

look at eggaccessories.com for other ideas..also you will get many here.

eggs come with screen

prices above should be an assembled price.

You will also need a good digital camera to post pics.

best
    allen
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    1. I dont soak.
    2. Probably can bake pizza on platesetter, but get a stone.
    3. approx $600.....ish
    4. Yes, i think.
    5. Some dealers pre assemble. You probably want to assemble yourself, just to learn about the construction close up and how to replace parts, etc. It doesnt take long.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    buy one you will never regrett it

1. no i do not soak and wood when i use it in an egg.. the airtight enviroment prevents the wood from burning up too quickly.. it just allows the wood to smolder

2. yes buy a pizza stone from big green egg it is mad of the smae material as the egg.. if you cook right on top of the platesetter you will burn your bottom before the cheese is melted
    101_0359.jpg

but you are not limited to just thin style pizza
    DSCN0266.jpg

3. buy one from a fest they are the cheapest you will find them there is one in atlanta in october and they are only used that day here is the link to the fest
    https://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=134&Itemid=192

4. yes they do it is a safty issue

5. depends on your dealer...i have always bought them from the atlanta store.. and they used to come assembeled (the ones from the fest will be assembeled) but now when you buy them from the big place in atlanta they come in a box.. the only reason i know that is i have a friend who bought one from them last year and we put it together

6. buy a camera so you can take pics of your first meal and post it here for all of us to enjoy ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    ditto to all the above. but the dealer makes a difference too. if you have the choice of 2 dealers see if you can get any feed back on either? saving a few bucks is not a savings if they are no help :) a lot of egg dealers are good and a few are not. they just don't take the time or care or are not eggers :) and most are GREAT. good luck and just get over it and get it. you will regret every day you waited if you don't and wonder why you waited. I had a hard time coughing up the $$ two years ago when we got our first one. now we have a flock or a herd what ever you want to call them :) Julie
  • Hurry and get your Egg and start cooking.

Don't soak your wood chips.

Invest in the pizza stone and platesetter.

Build or buy a table quickly, you will be cooking so much after you get you Egg you will need the extra room.

The screen comes standard, I haven't had any embers pop out at me as yet.

My dealer doesn't assemble them, mine came in a box.I am sure some dealers would assemble them and even deliver them for a fee.

Good luck and enjoy your egg and welcome to the Cult :)

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Big Easy Egg has a good point about making or buying a table quickly. It's not necessary but makes it sooo much easier to have places to put things. My table tip is to make it 2' longer than you think you need.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    That's very true.If you are gonna build a table,build it bigger than you think you'll need.I built this one for the medium,then came the small.The small took alot of my prep space.Next time,I'm going much bigger :woohoo:
    BTW,the side table was added ;) later,so I was really limited on space for a while :blush:

018-4.jpg
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I'm a newbie but agree with all the advice.

As far as eggcessories you need the long device to pull out ashes and the grill grabber for grill removal (although if you have one from your previous grill it should work). These are both relatively inexpensive so you might get the dealer to throw them in. Even if they don't throw this in they may throw in some lump and fire starter (my dealer did).

Also get at least three different varieties of wood to experiment with. I use hickory for most of my beef, pecan for poultry, a mix of apple, cherry, maple etc for things where you need subtle smoke, and alder for fish.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Doug: Even though that was not masterplanned, it looks great! I am envious. Still just a one Egg family.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Freddie,I was a one egg guy for almost 6 months :woohoo: Welcome to the club ;) :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    1) Do you guys soak the wood chunks before adding them to the fire?

Soaking is a Myth that is best left to die. You are cooking at 250 degrees plus and water boils at 212 degrees. nuff said.

2) Can you cook a pizza on the place setter or are you suppose to buy a stone that goes on top of it?

You can, but you will have less scorched pizza with the pizza stone on top of the platesetter

3) What can I expect for a fair price for the following?

This will greatly depend on where you live, but anywhere in the 700-900 price range is good. Also please remember you are getting a lifetime warranty on the egg. Good luck finding that on other cookers.

4) And what other accessories would a newbie need?

Lump and Meat. All others will come in time. You should buy Eggcessories based on your cooking style not ours. However, get a Thermopen.

5) Do all BGE's now come with the protective screen for the door at the bottom for air inflow and to protect against embers flying out?

Yes.. We don't want a repeat of the Dizzy Pig Saga.

6) Is there any assembly of the BGE or is that something I could expect the place I purchase it at to do as part of the sale?

This will greatly depend on your dealer. Some are good enough to assemble it. Some are not. It is easy to assemble if your dealer is too lazy.