Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Few questions about the small...

Rib Fan
Rib Fan Posts: 305
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just recieved my small yesterday and am very impressed with it. However the bottom vent door does not hold the slide very tightly at all. It appears that they would not seal unit enough to extinguish coals after use. To correct this I had to hammer door slide channel in so that it held slide snug to Egg. Has anyone else had to do this?
Also, how long will a load of lump generally last in the small...i.e. long enough to do a pulled pork?
I have gotten over 30 hours with large....but just curious about small.

Thanks

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You might do a whole butt with one load if you filled it passed the fire box with a good lump
  • The draft door on our Small was a pretty sloppy fit too. As a temporary work around I put the door behind the screen and bent the frame of the screen a bit so is acts as a spring to hold the door tightly in place. That has worked well enough for the three months since I did it that I haven't bothered with a more elegant fix.
  • Ike Witt
    Ike Witt Posts: 195
    Interesting post. I went to 2 different shops last weekend looking at small's. The bottom vent doors on both were exactly as you described. One also had a mini which appears to have the same door but it worked fine.
    Wonder if this was just a bad run or what.
    best
    allen
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    That was just the thing to do. I call that a minor tweek. Some times I do that on others as they slide off. Enjoy your egg and cook well. Miles out.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    I do single Butts on the Small often, as my wife's not a big fan of PP.

Here's a 7 lb'r about an hour from comming off.
    I think this one went about 13 hours.

P10100832.jpg

Now...here's what was left at the end.

P10100882.jpg

Keeping in mind to clean, fill, use more dense Lump for the longer cooks, the Small will do Butts quite nicely...IMO!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Chubby:

Do you get consistent/stabilized temp suring your butt cooks on the small?

Is that a home made ring resting on your fire ring or is it commercially available?

Thanks!
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Thanks for all the imput guys. I must say that after owning the Large that the small just does not have the same fit and finish that the Large has. First time I pulled the daisy wheel out of the box the daisy wheel rolled across the back deck with me holding the handle in my hand. Pair of needle nose pliars solved the problem with me pinching in the wire handle around daisy wheel. Issue with bottom vent was solved by me having to hammer sliding doors closer to egg to create a snug fit. The spiral top on daisy wheel (not sure of correct name) seems very loose and shifts from side to side. I am not bitching and I have used the small every day since I picked it up Monday but for $758 Canadian I would think that BGE would have a little better engineered product.
    I realize that the large probably outsells the small by 10 to 1 (just a guestimate) and that is probably where the company puts most of its focus but...
    Just thought I would throw it out there. Why is the Large so much better put together? Or is it a production timing thing?