Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT : fried clams

Options
Ike Witt
Ike Witt Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any New Englandahs out there with a good fried clam batter recipe.....geez i miss them. Steamed some on the egg last week and were great.

tnks
allen

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    The Japanese tempura batter works well on shrimp, oysters and veggies. Should work on clams also.

Oriental, Tempura Batter

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup flour
    1 Tbs cornstarch
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 egg whites
    1/2 cup beer
    peanut oil for deep frying

Procedure:
    1 Make the tempura batter by whisking flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt in a medium bowl and whisking in egg whites and beer. Let sit in the refrigerator about 30 minutes. Pour peanut oil into a deep saucepan to the depth of about three to four inches and heat on high until a bread cube dropped into the oil immediately sizzles.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: BBQ List, Gary Wiviott, 1999/03/19
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    That is the one thing I do go out for. I love the ones that are in batter and are more like a fritter. Not to many places still do them that way any more. they are more work and cost more to do but oh man are they sweet. When I was headed to Bangor this morning I saw that one of the local diggers had his sign out. might have to order a bushel of steamers soon. That is one job I would not do. I have dug clams a few times and I could not move the next day. the backs of my legs and my back was one fused ball of pain. but there in nothing sweeter :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    50/50 flour/cornflour. you can add salt and other spices, its not needed. flour, milk wash, flour, fry. steamer clams from ipswich are sweater than the more metalic tasting clams from maine. steamer clams south of ipswich are sometimes sandy which isnt all that great. my vote is for maine clams. are you shucking your self, thats real fun :whistle: make sure your using softshell clams and its corn "flour"
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i like the clam box over woddman's. the clam box uses 3 parts cornflour to one part pastry flour, and still uses lard to fry (i think they are 50/50 veg oil and lard). if you can use lard, it gives a much better flavor.

there was an article in the boston globe today about the fried clams in ipswich and essex. wife prefers woodman's, i'm a clam box fan though.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    clam shack up in kennebunkport is the one i like the best. i would go to any of those three places. the one in alices old pancake house on 28 went out, not the best but atleast i could get a weekly fix
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it