Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big egg Temperature control

Wingswille
Wingswille Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you keep the temperature down on these large eggs? I keep the inlet open about 1/2 inch and the top vents open about 1/2 of the round holes to keep the smoke moving a little, don't want the smoke to stop. Am holding around 280 degrees and want 210 fairly steady without the fire going out???

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    you can close the bottom vent to less than the thickness of a dime and it will still stay lit. i cook jerky at 145 and you can barely see the top or bottom being open
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Don't know what you are doing for smoke - there may be ways to get more, but running at a higher temp than your recipe calls for is not one of them. Don't let the amount of visible smoke be your deciding factor on draft and daisy wheel settings.
  • Thanks, I will try that setting.
  • Thanks but I am only concerned with temperature trying to keep it down.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    each egg seems to act a little different, the two of mine are different, just keep tapping it open and closed til you zero in on it, make small adjustments and then give it time to see what happens.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I did ribs yesterday at 220*, the lowest temperature I've tried to hit and hold, and it took a little doing. I overshot at the beginning to 245* or so, then had to coax the Egg down over the next hour. Once I hit 220*, it held within 3* for the rest of the time I needed it there.

Close your vents to slits and watch the temp drop gradually. I found using a digital gauge more encouraging and accurate than a dial for this cook.
  • monie
    monie Posts: 3
    re: temp control Do you only use big gr egg charcoal? I cant keep it going at a temp below 240 but then i am really new to this, i wanted to cook a pork butt for 18-20 hours but cant keep the temp low enug
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Monie, that's the second time I have seen this question from you. Without hijacking this thread, I would say that everyone has a "lump" they prefer, all will work for you (with differences). You do not have to use BGE or Kingsford to get a long cook. I am going to refer you to TNW's website at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    Everything you ever want to know as a beginner starting out can be found by reading through TNW's site.

To avoid a hijack, and as stated by others, I can hold 225 deg dome all day long with just over a sliver of the petals open (you can see it is open but that is all, and the "credit card" width on the bottom.
    thanks rc
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Best method for me.... Stoker... :P
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg