Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking pork butt question

Doctor Evil
Doctor Evil Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been smoking 2 pork shoulders weighing a total of 17 pounds for 9 hours. My remote temp transmitter quit transmitting during the night, and my dome temp is now 290 degrees (I was aiming for 250) and the meat temp is 201. This was supposed to take about 2 hours per pound to reach a meat temp of 195-200. I have re-positioned the meat temp probe, so I think this is an accurate meat temp. Do I remove the meat already? It has only been cooking for one half hour per pound.
Eric

Comments

• mfox2064
    mfox2064 Posts: 39
    i've been cooking a 10lb sholder for 12.5 hrs and have an internal of 170..... you should check your dome thermometer.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Any chance you can get another thermo and check all over. Might just have a hot spot.

You can try and wiggle the bone. if it moves freely it's done. Wrap in foil, towels, and put in a cooler lined with newspaper and you can keep it there for a few hours.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    290 is pretty hot, but do make sure to test the butts in various places, and make sure your thermometer is correct by placing it in boiling water to see if it reads 212.

There are "turbo - butts." I've had a few. On one, it took only 45 min per pound. I checked 2 different thermometers just 'cause I couldn't believe how quickly it finished.

Double foil wrapped, and betwee 4 towels in a cooler, it was still 160 5 hours later, so dinner was just a little early.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Use temp not time..if your thermo is accurate and recently calibrated, the meat is likely done..the slightly high dome temp will accelerate the cook and can sometimes make the meat a bit tough, but doubt you will have any problem at 290. Check temp in several places, test the meat for tenderness with a fork and if it's done, it's done.
  • Are they touching each other? Sounds like you've got space between them. I'm betting they're about 8+ pounders each. If so, while it's a little fast, your elevated temperature will probably account for that. And it sounds like you're on your way to 1-1/2 hours per pound(each). Butts can act wierd. Just go by your internal temp, regardless.
  • Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    That is done pretty fast but with a dome temp that high they would cook faster. I try to cook mine at around 225 dome. Just trust your internal temp you dont want to dry it out. Remember to wrap if foil and then a large towel and cooler it for at least one hour. You could also check your temp probe by putting it in boiling water just to make sure it is accurate.