Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rotate the Firebox 180 degrees?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is something I've wanted to try for a while to see how low and how stable I could get the temp in the BGE.

The idea is that rotating the main air intake on the firebox 180 degrees away from the air intake vent on the BGE might force greater airflow around the bottom of the firebox and facilitate slower/lower cooking.

Has anyone tried this?

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    It won't work. Use it as it was designed and you'll be happier.
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    It might but I don't see the point. You control airflow with the vent. I see you are trying to get less airflow but you can cut it down to nothing with the vent. My advice is to get a DigiQ.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    I don't think you will get enough air flow to keep a fire going.

That being said, I cen maintain 200-220 degree without any problems (no guru or other tool). If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Just my 2 cents!
  • I've never heard of any success with a 180 degree turn, but I've seen some newbies in here asking why they can't get better temperature control. Turns out that they had the firebox intake hole slightly missaligned with the bottom vent. After re-positioning the firebox, they got the control.

If you try it. Let us know. Do you really need low and slow temps lower than about 220*?
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Yes -- I have tried this to facilitate establishing low temps...

... after losing fire several times, I gave up --

After all, why mess up the design when I have both and upper and a lower vent to do precisely what the machine's designed to do!

~ Broc
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You want to facilitate low 'n' Slow get a BBQ Guru or a Stoker.

The air needs to get up under the fire grate There won't be enough air in the chamber under the fire grate if you rotate it. Air will take the path of least resistance and that is up and out the top.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    gwopy,

You post is interestig.

Like most of the rest of the posts above logically it seems rotating the fire box wouldn't work.

However, memeber 'Broc' seems to be the only one responding who has actually tried doing this.

If this iterests you, you should give it a (no food) try. I would 'guess' you would have the same result that Broc had.

Broc uses a small and medium egg. The large egg might be different as the bottom of the fire box seems larger percentage wise than the medium and small.

I also think your operating altitude will have some affect on this experiment.

My large will hold a 225° dome temp steadly without the use of a powered vent device. I have tried lowere temps and I can hold a 160° dome temp for a few hours.

With the lower temps, for me it is critical how I load and light the lump. Sometimes the fire will end up burning vertically and the lump goes out.

Any lower temps I have to use less lump.

Supposidly the DigiQ2 will control low temps which I will be trying later on in the fall when the ambient temps begin to drop again.

If you do any testing with this let us know.

GG