Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cut and temp for sliced beef?

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After the sucecess of my 3.5 lb pork butt starting at 350 for an hr then dropping to to 275 and having it come off in about 2 1/2 hrs at 175 meat temp. decided to try it with beef. Going to do another small butt and some beef along with some ABT'S today. Never done a "chunk" of beef except for a brisket. What cut of beef would lend itself to the above mentioned type cook and what temp would you pulled off for sliced beef? Also I plan to foil and cooler both cuts when done to free up my ONLY Egg. How long will it keep in the cooler and do I need to adjust pull temp for extra cooking in the cooler foiled? Thanks friends! ;)

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I typically use bottom round roast. Pull it at 125-130. and let it cool, slice very thin and enjoy.

Beef006.jpg

Check out Wess B, he uses Sirloin tip, and it looks awesome.

http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/pitbeef/Pit_beef.htm
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    morning jl
    only cut of beef that will stand up to that [175°] and not be dry is chuck.. all your other cuts will be like shoe leather.. unless you pull them at 125 and serve rare to medium
    i am making pulled beef. cooking same time and temps as you but then i put in a dutch oven with some beef stock add more smoke wood and back into the egg till it just falls apart ..and since i am running out of time maybe i will just do sliced with horse radish. tomatoes and fresh corn for sides. hope it is a good day.. off to the hardware store.
    bill
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I always use sirloin tips and they are fantastic! I pull at about 125-130. Put the smoke to it early, it can handle it. HTH.

DSCI0016-2.jpg
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    This week I did 2 3# eye of round roasts rubbed with onion and garlic powder and a light dusting of John Henry Pecan rub, apple and pecan mixed in lump. It took just over 2 hrs. to hit 132 internal, perhaps probe was misplaced but it was a perfect mid rare. I chilled and sliced thin-yummy.

Walt
  • Ike Witt
    Ike Witt Posts: 195
    Options
    If you do a sirloin tip, which i call a tri tip do yourself a favor and get your butcher to cut you a choice or prime piece. Its like night and day with the end results because sirloin is pretty lean. At the eggs by the bay web site, Morro Bay Rich has a good recipe.

good luck

allen
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Looks Great Todd....
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I'm with bill on this one--the chuck roasts I've cooked low-and-slow turned out really nice, and I'm looking forward to doing some again soon.

I'd recommend putting a question out there about "Pit Beef" because I believe that it is a round cut which they use for that particular cook.

Those red habaneros are kicking my butt today. Been off the hot stuff for a few days at the beach and wanted to get back into eating at home...nothing like kicking it off with some Arkansas "death peppers" as bill would say. I saw them at Central Market today while picking up the Hatch chiles, and they are the ones you sent. They do have a long burn, unlike some chiles where it's really quick.