Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You're Favorite BBQ Sauce Recipe

Dhilton
Dhilton Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
that you're willing to post online!

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I had forgotten about this one until someone posted about it yesterday. I like it.

This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts.

J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ Sauce Recipe.
    Mix in big pot over low heat

1/6 cup salt
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 heaping cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup beef boullion strong
    6 Cups H20

When sugars dissolve, add

1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right.
    1 Cup Worcestershire
    2 cups (16oz) tomato paste
    Kitchen Bouquet to darken (Optional, don't worry if you don't have this)
    Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Daves, whatever to add heat. Hatch ground chile is my favorite. I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time. I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno.

Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken.

I immediately tried to improve on this (added bourbon, tried rum, tried bourbon infused chipotle chiles) but everything I did only make the sauce worse.

This would even be good on vanilla ice cream!

May your clothes always smell smoky!

Mike Flaherty
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    that is the one i choose

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Is that the stuff you gave me last weekend?

If so, I'm gonna copy-n-paste. Good stuff my man.
  • BENTE
    that is the recepie for the homemade portion of what i gave you the other half is open pit

http://www.openpit.com/

really good isn't it?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Terrific. I like the spicy kick at the end.

It's gonna grace some chicken parts tonight!
  • BENTE
    glad you like it... ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Wild Boar is the house favorite here too. I just made a big batch this week. BTW if anybody wants some guidance on the quantities of the optional items listed in the recipe what I have found that provides enough kick to make the sauce sassy is:

2 Tablespoons of the Kitchen Bouquet
    1 teaspoon of chipotle
    2 Tablespoons of chili powder
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mike in Abita
    Thanks Ron. I'll update my recipe.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Silly question (I know there are no silly questions).
    Copy and paste- I see great stuff here and want to make a recipe folder, idea folder, etc... but don't know how to accomplish this. I have e-mailed some of these posts to myself and put them in an "egg" folder in outlook. I want to organize them in a better way.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Walt
  • Mike in Abita
    I use Notepad. Select the recipe you want to save and the highlight it, right click and copy go to notepad open and save. I save them in a folder in "My documents" labelled Food. I do quite a bit of work with notepad for my job. So it's easier for me to do it that way. I think others use "Word" with the same results.
  • Mike in Abita
    Up to three months. You can freeze half of it, and unless you keep your freezer very cold it won't freeze solid. But should still be safe, for up to 9 months
  • Cecil

I've used Word for quite awhile, but recently I purchased a cookbook software. Alot of eggers use this program, as well as, there are other programs available. This was recommended by Naked Whiz site. Here is the link:

http://www.livingcookbook.com/
  • BENTE
    i used to copy and paste into a word document then i put it into a spot in my documents with a recepie folder and several sub folders... but then i got to talking to Richard Fl and he got me on the living cookbook... here is a link to naked whiz's living cookbook section http://www.nakedwhiz.com/cookbooks.htm

so there is actually several answers gto your question you just got to figure out how much of a hobby you want to have... richard sent me about 5500 recepies and i have added another 500 or so since i will never get to eat them all but i will always be able to answer the question "How do i cook _______ "

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Cecil
    Thanks Mike, back in days of drinking way too much "Purple Haze" was a favorite, my little boy loves the rootbeer.

Walt
  • Mike in Abita
    Don't have to be a little boy to love the Root.

abita-rootbeer.jpg

I like it a lot. Love the fact that it's made with cane sugar.
  • Cecil
    Thanks to you and Jerry, i looked at the link and that looks good. I assume it is fairly user (dummy) friendly. I may be selling myself a little short but cavemen like me are scared of computers.

Thanks again,
    Walt
  • BENTE
    yes it is just cutting and pasting... living cookbook will give you a free trial..

and i think the best thing a computer does is take your eyes away from a cluttered desk ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Cecil
    It really is delicious!

Walt
  • Cecil
    It looks good so I ordered it. I have no desk but a counter that I try to keep clean, I need a lot of organization in the rest of my life.

You know, with a tool or two, I could be dangerous.

Walt
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    That is exactly what I do - email myself. I put the recipes in subfolders. My main folder is 'Recipes.' I had main folder for 'Recipes,' 'Egg,' and 'Aga,' but it really is best to put all the recipes together so you don't forget where one might be.

I have a zillion subfolders - for instance, the 'Beef' subfolder has sub sub folders - hamburger, meatloaf, roasts, sauces, stews, stock. It works for me!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    They're a secret :)

Though I am doing some serious consideration to bottling them up and selling them to friends..