Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring Band Help

randym4177
randym4177 Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Right or Wrong, I took the dome off my egg last weekend while I replaced the felt gasket on the top and bottom.

Now, that I am reinstalling the dome it sits flat on the base until I tighten up the bolts on the bands. At which time, the rear half of the dome lifts very, very slightly and doesn't form a good seal.

What am I doing wrong? Any pictures that you want to see?

Comments

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Loosen bolts, place two quarters between dome and base at the front, re-tighten bolts, remove quarters and check for gaps.

Mike
    Wrens, GA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I was talking with Weekend Warrior and he had a similar problem. He said his bands had twisted somewhat in the removal process and had problems aligning. He straightened the bands out and also put a spacer in the front. His alignment came out great.

You might want to look those areas.

GG
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Another aid is a couple long clamps like this.

IMG_0415.jpg

OTOH if your spouse is willing or you have a heavy teenager place a board on the dome top and have them sit on it while you tighten the bolts!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    BTW I call this my redneck pressure cooker set up!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thanks everyone - but I didn't pull it off.

I had my friend sit on the egg and we tightened everything. It was pretty tightly sealed all around at the felt, but when I started cooking, the front of the bottom band began to pull up and I had to continue to push it down. As it sits, the bottom band if almost as tight as can be...

Did I royally screw this thing up?

Randy