Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moisture in Egg

CCB299
CCB299 Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just put a slab of ribs on, but before I started I opened the egg and noticed some mold and a very rusty pinwheel inside (keep inside to keep away from moisture).

Due to my work I'm away for weeks on end, and it has been over a month since using my egg.

I do keep a cover on the egg to help protect it.

Why would this much moisture appear?

Thanks.

Comments

• never had a problem with moisture in the egg except right after i start it and you lift open the dome and its sweating on the inside. were do you live. is it high humidity there. have you left pans of left over grease or water in there overnight.
  • CCB299
    CCB299 Posts: 20
    I live in south Louisiana. The humidity is high, but figured it wouldn't get like that inside.

I don't leave any water or grease pans inside.
  • I get that too. I live in Wisconsin and in the summer if I don't use my egg enough, mold begins to grow inside it. Seems to take about 2 weeks of non-use. I've been searching this site for a remedy and the suggestion I've gotten is to "use your egg more often". Well that's fine for people who don't own their own business. But I'm always busy.

The best method I've come up with to get rid of the mold is to do a high temp burn (I use left-over lump) and then bbq as usual. But I would like to solve this problem. There must be some kind of product out there that you can put inside your egg that keeps the moisture down and prevents mold. Maybe just fill it with new lump when your done using it?