Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP -need a replacement probe

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night my favorite high temperature Polder-type probe died on me. I thought I had a source for probes bookmarked but can't find it. Any help out there in Eggland?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I just bought a Maverick ET-73 and they had replacement probes you could order that were made for higher temps.I'm at the office now and the info is at home but you may be able to go to their website and find them.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Hey Ron, not to change subjects but did you ever find a reliable injector. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Speaking of the ET-73, I am now off the bandwagon. Recently I was using it and the food temp reading would switch from 155 to 235 to 180. I thought I was losing it, and still might be. That and the fact the battery compartment latch on the back of the transmitter broke has me considering tossing the unit to the curb.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Their construction is less than adequate for sure.
  • RRP
    Options
    Tom,
    I've been using this unit from Bed Bath & Beyond. It's a combination of a plastic vial inside a stainless sleeve and it's well enough made for the mere $10 cost. The plunger is sturdy and the needles screw on tightly. My only complaint is the needles are just tubes cut off at the end with no side slots like most needles. Consequently when you inject that tube cuts a core of meat, and then the resulting plugs will wash out during the injection process and look like worms! Sort of gross when you first see them! I'm thinking I might alter at least one needle by crimping the end and then using a Dremel to cut or grind side slots.

IMG_1988.jpg
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Ron, I recently ordered a new set for mine about 3 months ago. I don't remember what the cost was but I remember it was not that bad. Here is the link that I used to get the information. I called Maverick and they told me what the part number was.

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/parts_and_service.htm
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I have that model, guess from out last comparison. Mine pulls air from the plunger so will only fill quarter of the way....maybe I got a dud. tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • RRP
    Options
    hmmmm, that's just a simple rubber O-ring that I bet you could buy at a decent hardware store that has the endless drawers of parts or even just in the plumbing section. BTW to seal better I lubricate mine with a touch of vegetable oil.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    Speaking of the ET-73, I am now off the bandwagon. Recently I was using it and the food temp reading would switch from 155 to 235 to 180. I thought I was losing it, and still might be. That and the fact the battery compartment latch on the back of the transmitter broke has me considering tossing the unit to the curb.

Give them a call. I had the same issue with the battery door and they shipped me a new one in less than a week.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.