Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank Salmon for 12 - Advice Plz

Options
Conundrum
Conundrum Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have to cook cedar plank salmon for a dinner party of 12. Obviously we want everything to "plate" at the same time. The most I've managed to get off the egg at one time thus far is about 6 portions. I've been debating between doing half of the pieces a little under done and then sticking them in the oven while the other half cooks or maybe trying a two tier arrangement in the egg assuming the smoke from the lower planks would take care of the fish on the upper planks.

Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated. This is for a supper club that my wife and I are part of and the food in it tends to be pretty epicurian. Too make matters more difficult most of the guys have a BGE also.

Thanks.
Reed

Comments

• AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    Use a large filet that isn't cut into individual portions. Then cut that in half and use two planks. Should fit perfectly but you could always used a raised grid as well.
  • NWFLyGuy
    NWFLyGuy Posts: 10
    Options
    If the planks are well soaked in water then they would be pretty forgiving. If you did 4 fillets, then I would put two planks on the first rack until midway, put the other two planks on the second rack. Then switch them and finish it up. I think that way they get the even heating and even exposure to the hot surface for smoke flavor. Timing is everything.

I'm not sure if you are able to pick up some Alder planks, but those also turn out some spectacular salmon!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    If the dinner was last night, this is too late. But...
    Many people think you soak the plank for the same reason they were once told to soak smoking wood. This isn’t so. You soak the planks so the fish is smoked, baked, and steamed all at the same time. This is also why you char the bottom of the plank before placing the fillets on top of it. If you didn’t first dry and char the bottom, you wouldn’t get the smoke flavor.
    If you place half the salmon on planks and the other on an unplanked upper grid, they will not all be cooked the same.
    I would call around to the lumber yards and wood working shops to find 1 x boards. I’d cut these to make something resembling a 16 or 17 inch pizza stone with the sides cut off, making it just wide enough to place 3 good size fillets on it, with space on the sides for air flow through the Egg.
  • Conundrum
    Options
    Dinner is Saturday night so you're not too late and thanks for the help. I was thinking that if I put two planks on the lower grid and then two planks on a raised grid all at the same time that it may come out ok - what do you think?

Thanks again.
    Reed
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i don't think you'll get any smoke off the upper planks, but the bottom ones will give it the smoke anyway
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I was just in Lowes and they have nice 1x6x8' Cedar boards that you could cut to fit the grill.
    Let me know if you need a saw.

J
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    buy some shingles, even cheaper....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante