Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting an XL Egg lit

Options
stoner
stoner Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to see if anyone had problems getting getting an XL lit consistently across the coals. I have an XL egg and need to use about 6-8 fire starters to get all the charcoal burning and have to leave the the top damper off until I get it going. Anyone have any tips on how best to get a good light on the XL?

Thanks.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    A weed burner would do the trick. Available for about $20 at alot of places. Just hook it up to a gas grill sized propane tank.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I dont have an XL but I do use a large and I assume it would work the same way. I use starter cubes usually only on low and slow. The way I do it is by using starter cubes in 3 places. If im cooking indirect I dont care how many coals are burning at one time. Once I light the starter cubes and let it get going for about 10 minutes I throw on the platesetter and grate and then shut the lid and wait another 15 minutes to hone in on temp. Then on with the meat. If im cooking direct I want more of an even cook across the grid ( I assume this is what your talking about) so I use a chimney starter. This allows me to get alot of coals started right away and then when I pour them out I have an even heat. There is also electric starters and mapp torches I read about but have no experience with either. This is only my opinion and it works for me. Hope it helped.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I'm probably in the minority in that I still use an electric starter. I put the element in almost horizontal so it comes in contact with a lot of lump. Lower vent is about half open and the top is off for 6-8 minutes. I start making small adjustments to the top and bottom around 250 dome depending on where I'm headed with the cook temp. I have also used Stikes paper towel method several times. Two towels, one kinda center left and one kinda center right with the vents in the same start position.
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    I have an XL and also use the electric starter. If I'm going for high heat, I bury it deep, if going low and slow, I put it more towards the top with just a little lump over it. Good luck

War Eagle!
    Gordon
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I'm not sure that I understand the question.Why do you want all the lump burning?Are you trying to sear steak?If not,you don't want all the lump burning.Just light in a few spots and go from there.If you want to get all the lump going,light it and leave the dome open :whistle: I forgot the other day,and had to wait a while for it to cool back down :blush:

001-26.jpg
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
  • stoner
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses folks. I just joined the forum today-what great feedback!
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I've tried all the methods you have and I stuck with the MAPP. I'm too scared to try the weed burner.

Welcome and ask as many questions as you want. We try to be a helpful bunch.

Has anyone directed you to the Whiz's site. It's a great source for all your ceramic cooking needs.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
  • kenstl
    kenstl Posts: 14
    Options
    I am in the club with doug 123. i usually use a light stick that i break in to 3 smaller peices, push the lump in to a pyramid, light and leave the lid open and go prep the meat. About 10-15 minutes later the fire is ready to be spread out and steaks go on. if i am doing a slow cook, simliar start but i do not leave the lid open that long as it gets too hot.

you guys with the torch must be in a hurry B) i can always fill the time with a cold beverage B)
  • stoner
    Options
    I have been there. Great site as well.