Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement dome

Options
jld
jld Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I'm just getting into egging, (or whatever you might call it) and have a friend who is willing to sell me a large egg for $200 which has a slightly cracked dome. I haven't seen it yet, but I assume a small crack probably wouldn't affect the egg so much. Question is, if I need to get a replacement dome, is this still a decent deal? It'll need a grill/rack too.

Thanks!

John

Comments

• Mariner Mike
    Options
    I think it cost about $180 for a replacement dome for my large egg.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    A new dome cost my son-in-law $230 shipped to NC from Atlanta. So if you can get the whole thing for $200 it looks like a real nice deal.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey John,how old is this egg?What happened to the grill/rack that you speak of?I assume you are talking about the cooking grid.It may be an older clay model.Even if it is cermamic,by the time you buy the dome and grid,you're gonna have $400 in it.Is the current owner the original owner?If so can he get the dome covered under warranty?Sorry for all the ???'s,but I wouldn't pay that much knowing that it will cost that much to fix.You also would probably want to get the spring assisted bands if it doesn't have them.I don't know where you are located,but here,I can get a new large for $650 :whistle:
  • jld
    jld Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks Mike & Rich. I'm excited!

Would a small crack render the lid ineffective or weak? Clearly not great since the lid can undergo some quick temperature changes, but if the crack isn't so bad would it be OK to just leave it be and not worry about it?

Thanks!
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Sure, just use it until it breaks.