Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peaches---how to cook??

BHE1
BHE1 Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought some peaches to cook with dinner tonight, how do I cook them (time and temp)? Thanks!!!

By the way, dinner tonight will be: thick cut filets, jalapeno creamed corn, potato planks, tomatoes & cuccumbers (fresh from the garden) and grilled peaches. I'll take pictures later.

Comments

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    I did some sunday indirect. But that's because my cook was already set like that. Dome was probably around 350D. Cut in half, seed removed and cut side down for a few minutes. Turned them cut side up, added about 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar and went for another 10 minutes (guessing) You'll know when they feel tender. A scoop of ice cream and a great desert. I'm sure could do them direct with the grid at gasket level.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Cut the peaches in half and discard the pit. Put the cut side down on the grid at 325 for about 10 minutes.

Turn it over and brush with a honey, brown sugar & rum mixture. Turn it back over and cook for 2-3 more minutes.

remove and serve with Vanilla ice cream...drizzle honey mixture over the top to really make it special...
  • I did some peaches last week. I just cut them in half, removed the pits, and placed the flat side down on the grill. I just left them there long enough to warm up - about 1 minute. I wasn't really paying attention, but I think I had the temp at about 450 direct.

They came out really tasty. I was afraid they might fall apart if I cooked them too long, but they stayed firm the way I did them, but picked up a nice flavor from the grill.

Next time I try these, I'll probably leave at least a few a bit longer, and maybe add some spices to give a bit of a different flavor.

Hope that helps.

-John
  • captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    I just gave them a light coat of canola oil (no taste), and grilled anywhere from 375*-450* till I liked the way they looked.

Make sure they are ripe, so you are not tempted to add sugar before cooking. They will burn.

Once with plums (this is gonna sound crazy)...I halved them, tossed in a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh thyme. They were awesome! Might try that with peaches too.
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    when's dinner?
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    WOW!! Thanks for all the quick responses. Vidalia1--your recipe sounds really good with the honey, brown sugar, and rum recipe. Can you provide approximate amounts to make the mixture?

The BGE community rocks!!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    When I did it we kind of threw it together...
    we had 4 peaches so 8 halves
    1 cup of rum
    1/4 cup of light brown sugar
    stirred that together so the sugar dissolved
    then added honey to taste...like Jo said if the peaches are ripe then they are sweet so we added honey until we liked the taste...we also saved some of the mixture to drizzle over the cooked peaches and ice cream..
  • If you'll be feeding the peaches to kids, you might want to pass on the rum part. I did these awhile back and my 17 year old son and his girlfriend turned their noses up at them. I'm sure that the rum was the culprit. Mark
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Here's some I did the other night. You can do them direct or indirect they are not fussy at all. I used a little oil and brown sugar to the cavity. Essex Junction suggested adding a little Bourbon which sounded good to me. Have to work on technique a little as I almost flambe'd my patio. Will try it again tonight.
    ChickenPeaches.jpg
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    334862164_G4T5S-S.jpg

Stuff 'em with mascarpone!
    Grilled Peaches
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    a 17 year old that turns his nose up to rum??..hmmm.. might wanna check him! ;)
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    don't forget in all the above how good fresh saigon cinnamon is on peaches ;)..i'd add a dash of that to vidalia's recipe and call it golden :silly: