Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin Anyone!

Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I tried something new ... Pork Loin. Being a Jewish kid from New York, I know little to nothing about pork, but it was on sale at Kroger ($0.89/per pound). I started with something similar to JJ's rub (used the ingredients I had in the house). Smoked the 3 pounder indirectly at about 300* with Jack Daniels oak barrel chips. to an internal temp of 175* (higher at the smaller end).[p]The results were very good ... although I know nothing sbout pork! My neighbor (from South Carolina and knows about that pork stuff) said it was great, but I think he's exagerating.[p]Anyway ... a very easy meal![p]Smokey

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Smokey,[p]Pork loin for $.89/pound? WOW, thats a deal. I can get whole loin on sale here in S. IL for about $1.89 usually, sometimes a deal comes along thats cheaper but if I wait, I can usually have one for the $1.89 about any time I need one.[p]I think one of my favorite things on the grill, besides the awesome steaks and burgers, Pulled Pork, 24 hour smoked brisket, beef jerkey, pizza, calzones, bread, and brined chicken........., is pork loin. [p]I like to rub mine with a good rub, refrigerate for a day or so, slow cook them for awhile, then kick up the heat and get a good bark on them. Mighty tasty stuff. But then again, so is the Q, steaks, burgers...........[p]Troy
  • Smokey
    sprinter,[p]Sounds you really like anything that is Q'ed! I'm there with you! The Egg thing is getting bad for me. I've been known to Egg even when I not hungery (that's not often), just to be outside and smell the smoke![p]Everything you mentioned sound GREAT. Have you tried a corned beef? I add a Cajun spice rub and smoke it slow for 8 to 14 hour (based on size). Good eatin'[p]Smokey
  • sprinter
    Smokey,[p]Yeppers, like my Q. Naw, I think I like my BGE and anything that comes off of it, not just Q. Heck, sometimes I think you could slow smoke a dog turd on this thing and make it eddible. No, I have not tried it but heavens knows I have enough to try with a St. Brenard and a Great Pyrenese my yard during the summer looks like someone dumped a truckload of chalk onto it.[p]I've been threatening myself to try a corned beef brisket soon. I love pastrami and after a little investigation, have what I think will make pretty good pastrami. One of these days, so much to cook, so little time.[p]Troy
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    sprinter,
    Since you like dogs i thought you might like this.[p]If A Dog Were Your Teacher You Would Learn Stuff Like...[p]When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
    Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
    Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure
    ecstasy.
    When it's in your best interest-- practice obedience.
    Let others know when they've invaded your territory.
    Take naps and stretch before rising.
    Run, romp and play daily.
    Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
    Avoid biting, when a simple growl will do.
    On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
    On hot days, drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree.
    When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
    No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and
    pout... run right back and make friends.
    Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
    Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you've had enough.
    Be loyal.
    Never pretend to be something you're not.
    When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them
    gently.
    YB[p]

• sprinter
    YB,[p]Thanks, I've seen this before and loved it. Really makes you sit back and think heh?[p]Troy
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Smokey,
    I did a corned beef brisket (5.71lbs) on the Egg last wed. for dinner on St. Patty's. It was fantastic! I'd recommend it to any one! Best corned beef I've had in my life! Best Ruben sandmiches I've ever had too![p]Dr. Chicken

• Smokey
  • Smokey
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Corned Beef is the girlfriend favorate. I don't find them over 3.5 lbs, but would love it!

• GO Smokey! Cajun spices,, yes! Next time try cutting off the large end and using a filet knife, unroll it to it's a square slab of meat about 1/2 inch thick. The stuff it with drained & dried frozen spinach, some small shrimp, parmisan cheese, CAJUN SEASONING, thin sliced onions, and even a few very thin sliced jalapenos. Do like Dr. Chicken says and remove the seeds and pulp from the peppers before using them. Roll that baby back up and tie it up real tight with a cotton string. Make sure the ends are really tight to keep the good stuff in. Coat that baby with a mixture of yellow mustard, buttermilk, and CAJUN SEASONING. Wrap it in plastic wrap and leave it for a day. Then egg it until the internal gets to your favorite pork temp. Slice it and serve it to someone who's not real crazy about pork. Then go cut a switch to use to make them go home after dinner. The're gonna wanna stay.

• Bryan
    Bryan Posts: 53
    YB,[p]Fred's been trying to teach me this for years. If I was as smart as he is, I would have learned it by now! But, I keep tryin'[p]Bryan

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Bryan,
    Don't let Fred read that,it might spoil him.
    YB

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    King-O-Coals,
    Damn that sounds good![p]BF