Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

why calibrate and how?

Options
sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Why do you have to calibrate your therm.And how is it done? Thankyou in advance for your help..."Peace".

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    The easiest way is to stick it in boiling water. Then it should read close to 212.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    If it needs adjustment place a 7/16" wrench on the nut behind the face. Hold the wrench and turn the face until the needle points at 212 degrees. Finished!
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    The BGE thermo is adjustable with a hex nut like many spring thermometers and sometimes it adjusts itself if it's rotated around in its hole in the dome. The clip keeps it tight enough sometimes that when the thermo is bumped or turned, it will turn that nut and knock it out of calibration. Some people calibrate as a matter of routine, but I check mine only if I suspect a temp problem or I know that I've bumped it. Mark
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if it reads 250, but it's really 200, you'll never get that butt done....

twist the nut in the back til the dial reads 212, checking by dipping the business end in boiling water.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Please note that this procedure is technically not calibration, but a zeroing of the unit. It is still quite possible (even probable) that the thermometer will be accurate at 212*, but get progressively less so the farther you deviate from that reference point.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    That clip problem is precisely why I don't use them! Pitch it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    So would u have to bump it hard to give u the impression that you knocked it out of calib? Is that it? Is that why people use a different inside gauge, because they don"t trust the bge dome gauge? I"f you think you"re cooking at 250,and its really at 200, i mean how do you really know? Not trying to sound stupid but stupidly ignorant to the fact...
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Yes -- Calibrate it ever-so-offen, like ever-3-months-er-so.

It's simple -- all you need is a bit of water at a rolling boil and a pair-a-pliers er a crescent wrench.

Twist gently... gently...

~ B
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    You'll know. Food either won't be getting done when it's supposed to or stuff will be overcooked or burnt. As you continue to cook on the Egg, you'll develop a sort of sixth sense about these things. I have a Maverick ET-73 wireless thermo, an old Taylor unit that only has a food probe, a Guru DigiQ II and a Thermapen. The Thermapen is invaluable and the one I use most. Get one. No more guessing, "Is it done yet?"

Mark
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    the bge gages go out of calibration easily, bumping them may cause it, a slight bend in the probe, turning them while in the dome hole if its tight, high heat, after owning several i dont trust them. if you buy a teltru which is a good gage, you will see the difference. one problem though is that with two gages you will never know which one is right. i trust my grill gages more and basically once i have the temp at the grate where i want it i just spin the needle straight up on the dome, that way i know if something changes just by which way the bge needle is pointing.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    Some people suggest having a known good thermo sitting in a drawer some where so you can pop in and quickly check it vs the other one. One reason to use a digitial thermo guage inside is because the grate temperature can be as much as 50 degrees different than the dome. Also some times the inside thermo drives a guru/stoker. When it comes down to it you just want to get a feel for what is going on in your cooker. I have used a probe stuck down into the dome vent when I had a lot of pork butt in my egg because the normal thermo was sticking into a piece of meat.
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses,I feel better now.and Weekend Warrior,thanks for your return response. Disregaurd my last post to you. I type so slow with two fingers that by the time i"m finished the answer is already there :)
  • Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    Options
    I check mine about once per year. If you have a manual with your Egg the instructions are in it. If not its simple. Just put it into boiling water and adjust the reading if it is not correct with the nut on the back.
  • BigEggDaddy
    Options
    Reminder that water can boil at different temperatures depending on your elevation and barrometric pressure - be careful when adjusting to make sure you have your correct boiling point temperature in your area so that you dont make the calibration worse. My water boils at 202F not 212F.
    you can use ice water too. stir the thermometer in the ice water to make sure the temperature is even - ice water is 32F no matter where you are.