Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Puter!

bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It has been a long time in coming, but I finally broke down and bought a new computer for the home...now I can access this site only steps from Mr. Humpty! Thanks for all the advice on makes and models a while back...I settled on a Gateway. The free printer special that they're running caught my attention. Looking forward to plugging it in.
bd

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    bdavidson,[p]Not to try and throw a damper on things right away but now that you have that new 'puter, the silly thing will be obsolete in a month. The next new whizzbang product will be out in a week (if it isnt already on the shelf) and you'll wish that you had waited a bit longer. At least that's the way it works with me. You can get paralized with this though and sooner or later you (I) just have to make the plunge and buy something that I think will last for awhile and go with it. Congrats on the 'puter purchase, nothing like having a brand new machine to play with. Personally I'm waiting for one of those new Gegaherts PC's to hit the street, will certainly outperform this P5-166 I'm using. (see what I mean that I'm paralyzed by procrastination).[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    sprinter, your wheting my appetite! The new X-Box from Squeeky Gates Factory is going to require 8 gig of hardrive space and a minimum of 600 hz system to run it. Time to think biiiiiiiiig!
    C~W[p]

• bdavidson
    sprinter,
    Yeah. I know. But I view it more as a necessity. I'm currently using a 486/33mhz machine (it is 10 years old, and of course, screemingly fast and "all you'll ever need" when I bought it). Now I'll be using a AMD Athlon 650 mhz processor with 128 of RAM and a 10G hard drive...quite a step up, huh? I'm sure it will be "all I'll ever need." Where have I heard that before?

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Char-Woody,[p]It's the age old story of the 'puter industry. The hardware gets faster, software gets bigger and bigger to use that speed, then the hardware needs to grow again. Its a constant cat and mouse game with one trying to outdo the other. Actually there is a vast right wing conspiracy going on that causes the HW and SW people to work together to defraud the innocent consumer out of their disposable cash. Its been going on for years, and the software and hardware manufacturers are the only beneficiaries of the whole thing. I could start a rant here but will bow out now before I start to get ugly. Man, that makes two quasi-political statements in one day here for me, look out now.[p]Troy
  • bdavidson

You're really Hillary aren't you, sprinter?

• bdavidson,[p](*%%%*&&*_()%, I've been discovered. The only reason I adopted the moniker "sprinter" is because I always dream of running away from my dork of a husband.[p]Uh Oh, three quasi-political rants today, I'm going for a record, look out folks, it could get ugly here.[p]Hillary - aka sprinter
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    sprinter - Hillary,
    "CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG" Rodney King

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    MAC,
    not touching that one with a 10 foot spatula.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    sprinter - Hillary,[p]Ya gotta get on that soapbox every now and then and pontificate; it's good for the soul.[p]Pontifed