Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to fire roast a basket of tomatoes.

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Rather than blanch in hot water I would prefer to do it on the egg.Do you core and X the top of the tomato?What temp and how long?Want to put up and freeze for pizza etc.

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    In the past I've done as you describe and just thrown a little olive oil, salt/pepper @ 400 direct. It's okay if the skin burns, cuz you're gonna peel it off anyway. Good luck.
  • Darnoc
    Options
    I have never done this before but I was thinking to core and seed after it was cut in half then chop up some fresh basil with some evoo and spread them out on a perforated pizza pan skin side down and cook for about five minutes or till the skin gets black then remove and cool.Peel and crush upt then into a freezer bag.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have always wanted to do these.. but i can't grow anything :blush:

Tomatoes, Dried, Chubby

Yesterday...I had the most wonderful smelling house...if you're Itallian, or Itallian at heart!!In order to get better flavor from tomatos this time of year I occassionally watch for Roma's (on sale), buy a bunch, and spend a couple days slow roasting/drying them to concentrate the flavors!!Pretty simple..

1 Slice lengthways....scoop out most of the seeds and juice.
    2 Drizzle with "good" Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic.
    3 Sprinkle with diced garlic, fresh ground black pepper, grey salt, sweet basil... and thyme.
    4 Slow roast on a cooling rack over a sheet (or jelly roll) pan for 3-4 hours @ 275.
    5 If you have a Convection oven...use it!
    6 Store in the Refrigerator.

Recipe Type
    Condiment

Recipe Source
    Author: Chubby

Source: BGE Forum, Chubby, 03/03/06

They sure come in handy for salads, pasta dishes, or as a condiment on sandwiches!!

They're a staple at "Chubby's Crib".. all year round!!

Evans

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Darnoc
    Options
    Thank you for the tip an Chubby also.I will try that but when I got home today I was starving.The tomatoes look good so from the pan into a dutch oven to cook down.Will keep you posted.