Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Ham

Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a 6 lb ham last night, and it turned out great. I wanted to cook at a dome temp between 250 and 275, but due to some "reglect" on my part, it probably averaged around 300. To quote RRP from an earlier post, it is very tough to screw up a double smoked ham.

I did use mesquite blocks (dry) and soaked apple chips. This seems to give me the smoke I am looking for. I used a drip pan filled half with water and half with apple juice.

Raw Ham:

Raw.jpg

I made my own marinade. I melted butter in a combination of apple juice and jack daniels:

Marinade.jpg

You can tell I am a newbie, because I just love taking picture of the smoke. I know that I made all of the neighbors hungry!

Smoke1.jpg

Smoke3.jpg

Half way through (roughly 1.5 hours in)

HalfWayDone.jpg

At this point, I started mopping the ham about every half an hour. I pulled the ham at 145, which was a cook time of 3 hours.

DoneonEgg.jpg

DoneonPlatter.jpg

I put in a tin foil tent for 30 minutes, sliced an served.

FinishedCut.jpg

I will definitely be cooking this again.

Comments

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    That look really good. What type of ham would you call it?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • That looks terrific. Nice job on the cook and the pics too. Mark
  • I am not exactly sure the type of ham it was, and I am far from a ham expert. However, when I got all the meat off the bone, I was left with a bone and joint. It appears to be an elbow joint (not sure if pigs have elbows, but that is what it looked like).

I think the picnic ham comes from the front leg, so perhaps this cut was from the back?

If there are any ham experts please let us know!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    That looks GREAT. I can picture a slice of that along with a couple over-easy eggs, some home made biscuits & hash browns.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Glad it worked. At the higher temp you probably just dried it out a little, but as long as you injected it there was still moisture. BTW during the final glazing I like to sprinkle on chopped pecans - tastes good and makes a striking presentation for guests. If you like ham and bean soup you'll find the Double Smoked Ham is an excellent candidate for it! I'll be glad to share my recipe I've perfected over the years. It used to be in the recipe section here, but got clobbered in a file loss.

IMG_0933.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Nice Job! Pork loin, ham got any more pork where you live?? Here is one I like to do thanks to Egret. PS the bones makes great ham and beans.

Ham, Maple-Bourbon, Egret

INGREDIENTS:
    Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    1 10-12 Lbs Cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks
    Maple-Bourbon Paste
    2 Tbs Pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbs Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbs Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbs Bourbon
    1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbs Paprika
    1 Tbs Onion Powder
    2 Tsp Coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

Preparation :
    1 The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    2 Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side).
    3 Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    4 Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).
    5 This is a truncated version of Maple-Bourbon Glazed Ham that was posted on the forum (author unknown).

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: John Hall

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '08, Egret
  • RRP
    I agree that's a great ham recipe as well.

IMG_1656.jpg
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is your recipe. Great The picture will not follow from where it is in Living Cookbook.

Soup, Ham & Bean, RRP

Here's a picture of my frozen pints of what I proudly call my kick butt ham & bean soup recipe that I've "perfected" to our tastes over the years. It used to be on the BGE recipe board but got lost during a glitch a while back. I hope you either like it or glean some pointers in the process!

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Lb Navy beans prepared as described below
    4 quart water in total
    left over ham bone with lots of meat
    1/4 lb real butter
    1 cup grated carrots
    1 cup diced onion
    1 cup diced celery
    1 1/2 tsp pepper + 35 grinds of fresh pepper (I know this sounds quirky!)
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp comino powder (aka cumin)
    1 tsp chili powder
    4 Tbs flour
    1/2 tsp Wright’s concentrated hickory liquid smoke
    1/2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet

Procedure:
    1 Sort through beans for any bad ones, rinse, place in large pot with 1.5 quarts of cold water. Bring to a boil for three minutes, turn off heat, but leave on the burner and keep covered for one hour.
    2 Add another 1.5 quarts of cold water, plus the ham bone. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
    3 In a fry pan sauté in butter the carrots, celery and onions. Season with salt, pepper, comino powder and chili powder. In a separate bowl place 4 T of sifted flour and THEN add 1 pint of cold water and mix thoroughly to make a slurry. Remove ham bone and add leftover diced ham, sautéed vegetables, and flour slurry to the pot of beans. Carefully add one more pint of cold water, stir well. Heat thoroughly on simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Skim off any large poolings of fat which will might rise during this final stage, unless you were careful to exclude fat from the ham pieces and ham bone.
    4 Kicker – if you saved any of the Dr Chicken’s Double Smoked Ham glaze pour that in. Wise to be careful here as it may make the soup too sweet for some people’s taste.
    5 Lastly, 1 pint of this well mixed hearty soup is a nice size serving. Normally this recipe yields 7+ pints of this bodacious ham and bean soup!

Recipe Type
    Soup

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, RRP, 2007/12/26
  • RRP
    Thanks - I forgot that I had posted it!