Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ahhh Fresh Jersey Tomatoes

Options
TomM24
TomM24 Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fresh Locally grown heirloom tomatoes fresh mozzarella and basil. It doesn't get much better than that. Oh and an EGGed sirloin on the side. No pictures last night. Sounds like a pinball table here yesterday with all the pinging going on. :laugh:

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Tom, with all the acid rain, smog, and water pollution in Jersey..you SURE you wanna eat those tomatoes?..heh. :laugh: j/k..sounds great!
  • TomM24
    Options
    The corn and tomatoes are two of the best things in NJ. Got to enjoy them while they last.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Those fresh tomatoes make great pies to go with steak also.
    Larry

dd2d-1.jpg
    4efd.jpg
  • TomM24
    Options
    The only tomato pies I've had are pizzas. What all do you put in it?
  • YB
    Options
    Here is the recipe Tom...You don't have to use the Ceramic Deep Baking you can just set the pie pan on a pizza stone to shield the bottom from the fire.
    Larry

Tomato Pie

1 9-inch deep dish frozen pie shell
    3 medium, ripe tomatoes, sliced (I agree, heirlooms are best)
    6 strips bacon, fried and crumbled
    1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
    1 cup mayonnaise
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon pepper

Bake frozen pie shell following package directions. Preheat egg to 350 degrees. Sprinkle tomato slices lightly with salt and place in a colander for one hour to drain. Place tomatoes in bottom of pie shell; top with crumbled bacon. Combine cheese, salt, pepper and mayonnaise; pour over tomatoes. Bake 35 to 40 minutes on a raised grid using a Ceramic Deep Baking Dish.
  • TomM24
    Options
    YB:

Thanks, sounds good. Sort of like a grilled cheese tomato and bacon in a pie.
  • YB
    Options
    If you want to serve something quick and cold these are good when fresh tomatoes are in.
    Larry

Kaye's Stuffed Tomatoes
    Description: When it's hot these are cool and refreshing,goes good with Poultry,Beef or Pork.
    Ingredients: • 4 fresh home grown tomatoes
    • ½ small cucumber
    • ½ small Vidalia onion
    • 1 ½ Cup cottage cheese
    • 1 Dash paprika
    • salt and pepper

Instructions: Core the center of the tomatoes,put the cottage cheese in a mixing bowl,grate the cucumber and onion very fine,now mix all ingredients together.Stuff tomatoes with mixture and sprinkle with paprika.Salt and pepper to taste.You can use cream cheese in the place of the cottage cheese,but the fat content is higer.Serve cold.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Tom, one of the best parts of growing up 5 minutes from the base of the Commodore Barry bridge (on the PA side) was the proximity to those Jersey Tomatoes, the best in the world. In another couple weeks, I will make my annual pilgrimage to Rosies for a few bushels of Jersey Plums to jar for the long, cold winter:
    IMG_1479.jpg
    The end of last year's batch:
    IMG_1481.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    Try a Ramapo tomato if you can find them. Rutgers University sells the seeds. They are supposed to be the old school Jersey tomato - the one I used to eat out of my grandfather's garden. I'd put salt on them and eat them like apples.
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    You mean Rosie's in Mullica Hill?

Before we had kids we would buy 10 baskets of plumbs and use the same machine! We cooked them down and my wife added her olive oil and italian seasoning to make her sauce. It took all day working in the heat and humidity and by the end of the day we were miserable. But for the rest of the year we had those wonderful mason jars to tap!

We have a 5 and 3 year old now and we worried about one of them getting hurt somehow, so we took a hiatus from canning. But I hope we start it up again soon.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    That's funny, mine are 11 & 12 & I have started my own child labor camp to avoid the end of the day misery, of course I have to pay them each $5.00 per bushel to help, but its well worth it. I have pioneered several time saving methods & I am able to now can 75 quarts in about 4 hours (I use a massive commercial-sized strainer, a 14 quart per batch pressure canner & an outdoor high-btu stove).
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    by the way, yes, that is the Rosie's, the one and only, a tomato lovers paradise I might add
    happy in the hut