Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back ribs advice 321

Options
Egg-on-Medford
Egg-on-Medford Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got 2 slabs of baby backs for tomorrow. We like them to fall off the bone, so I'm gonna try the 321 method. Already cut in half; no membrane. Gonna use a dry rub where 1st ingredient is sugar. Have 2; one is Texas Pig Rub, other from local butcher shop.

1. One website said to do 2-2-1 for baby backs. What do you think?

2. Temperature? 250 dome temp?

3. 2 hours loosely wrapped in HD Al foil. They recommend adding apple juice. Cider? Vinegar??

4. Final 1 hr. I should sauce them, right? Should they be back on the rack or on the grill?

Thanks!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    My personal opinion. You go 1 hour with a sugar based sauce, your going burn them.
    Lay flat for 20-30 minutes. What do I know?

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Mike cooks more ribs than most of us change socks. I'd follow his advice
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Check this site out.http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Egg-on-Medford
    Options
    Well, that's why I asked. Before I looked up the 321 stuff, I printed my previously copied recipe from..........CWMike

So, that recipe calls for pre-rub 4-5 hours
    Start at 275 (dome, right?), then plate setter, wood chunks, drip pan, then 215-225 dome, spritz w/ ap juice/cider vinegar every 45-60 min, rotate ribs.

Now, get temp up to 275 after 3 1/2 hrs, check progress at 4 1/2 hrs

Sauce, put back on bone side down for 20 min.

Do these "fall off bone"?
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Carwash Mike tought me how to do ribs. I've never been able to use the last "1" hour in full. I want sticky ribs, and if I let the sauce cook that long, they lose their sticky. Usually I foil for the entire 4th hour, meat side down with apple cider vinegar. Then I take them out of the foil, put them, bone side down, back on the grate for about 15 minutes of the last hour. Then I slather the sauce, and cook for not more than about 15 more minutes, so I guess my algorithm is 3-1-.5. Mine don't quite "fall off the bone". At the risk of making them mushy, maybe more time in the foil will do that for you.

Good luck and let us know.