Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Question!

FrankC
FrankC Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

I'm going to make my first attempt at pizza tonight, and I have some questions. I'm going to buy some fresh dough from a local pizza shop. Do I need to prebake the dough before assembling the rest of the ingredients?

I have a peal, should I use parchment paper or semolina flour? Also, what's the recommended temp and time?

I'm going to make a conventional sauce and cheese pie for the kids, and the Chicken/Artichoke for the wife and myself.

All help is appreciated!

Comments

• Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    No need to pre-bake. Parchment paper works great. You can leave it under the pie for the whole cook, or remove it after the crust cooks a bit. I go 450ish for about 15-20 minutes. If it's your first one check it after 10 minutes to be on the safe side. FG
  • I have best luck with parchment paper. Trim it close to your product shape.

Last weekend we did one pizza with fresh made dough for about 15 minutes at 500 degrees and the toppings of goat cheeze, artichokes and spinich were not over cooked. The crust done on the bottom but the top was not crispy. This was our first Pizza and the flavor from the wood chunks was unforgettable.

Next we made dough for some foccia with sundried tomatoes & olives. We wanted the crust crispier and in the process burnt the toppings. The wood flavor was gone too. Go figure.

I think it is a toppings/timing issue.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    There is no need to pre-bake your crust.

I would recommend parchment paper since this is your first - it's just easier to move the pie that way. You can always remove the parchment paper near the end of the cook if the bottom of the crust is not getting done to your liking.

I would recommend cooking at 450-500* and let the egg and stone pre-heat at least 30 minutes. More is better.
    Should take somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the dough and amount of toppings. You can always look through the top vent open the lid and peek, use the peel to lift up and check the bottom of the crust. Just be super careful and aware of flashbacks - they happen easily with pizza cooks.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I use parchment paper with pizzas. No need to precook the dough. As mentioned, about halfway through the cook you can slide out the parchment to get a crispier crust. You didn't mention your setup....I use the plate setter (legs down), ceramic feet (or other spacer) on plate setter and pizza stone on ceramic feet. Another setup that will work is plate setter (legs up), grid on plate setter and pizza stone on grid. I do mine at 500 degrees...takes 8-10 minutes.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Frank, since you have the peal, you should give a go at learning how to use it without the parchment paper, I use course ground corn meal (never tried semolina but it probably works just as well). Give a nice coating on the peal, roll your dough out on the countertop then put it on the peal - pick it up & slide it around to get the feel for it (it should slide easily), then top it & put it on your preheated egg stone (I go 550, peak through the top & see if your toppings are bubbling & if you have good crust color, usually takes about 8 minutes). One more tip, bring your toppings including cheese to room temp before you top the pie, this way they will cook in harmony with the dough & not take longer than the dough - good luck
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • FrankC
    You're right, I forgot to mention how I'm going to be set up. I'm going to use my Woo2 and a 15" pan as my heat deflector, then my CI grid, then my stone. this should ensure that I'll be above the gasket to get it out.

Am I missing anything? Thanks for the replies!
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    First Pizza, exciting.
    I use a peal with no parchment. I use medium grind cornmeal under the pizza and on the stone. We found that the course grind was too gritty for us. If yo don't use parchment make sure you don't build the pizza way ahead of time as it will stick to the peal.
    For first pizza I would recommend the parchment paper. I do 500-600 degrees with top wide open for peeking. About 10 mins.
    Pizza414.jpg
    PizzaDome.jpg
  • Zippylip
    It doesn't sound like you are missing anything, we do hope you will post a picture of this fine pie when you are done. I will be posting a couple shots of my latest creation tonight, caramalized fennel & artichoke (slice the fennel into thin slivers & saute in olive oil w/salt & pepper until nice and caramelized), then at the end toss in some minced garlic & top the pie with this & some marinated artichokes - fantabulous :P
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Cpt'n, we think alike, here is 8 minutes:
    025.jpg
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    024-Copy2.jpg
    030.jpg
    happy in the hut
  • I've found that the key to getting the cornmeal to work effortlessly is to use a lot of flour on my prep counter when I roll out the dough.

My first pizza cook on the Egg was at 550º. The next few were at 500º, but I eventually settled on 450º. I like the crust better. That may be, in part, because I make a fairly thin crust. I get two 11" pizzas from a 1 lb. lump of dough.
  • FrankC
    Well, the first pizza experience is behind me, and I'm sorry to say that things did not go so well. As soon as I figure out how to post pics, I'll show off my failure so hopefully, someone can point me in a successful direction. Thanks again for all of your advise. My wife liked the flavor, so she's encouraged me to keep trying.

Pics to come later.