Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough

Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know that there have been several threads in the past where people have put forward recipes for pizza dough. I am thinking of picking up one of those Kitchen Aid mixers and I am thinking of starting off by making some home made pizza dough. I would appreciate hearing any suggestions for a good pizza dough recipe.

Thanks

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i just made pizza recently

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=492771&catid=1

and the best one of the two pizza doughs was the one i got out of my instruction booklet that came with my kitchen aid mixer

mine came with a free pasta roller

101_0261.jpg

i hade to mail in a proof of purchase card but it was free and can make some really good pasta ;)

HTH

i will type up the dough sometime... i guess when there is a need :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    I've tried the Trader Joe's, the Mama Mary, and the Pillsbury. None were bad, but Mrs. ewillie is ready to fire up the Kitchen Aid and see if we can't come up with a better one ourselves.

Don't know that I can offer any advice, but I certainly share your interest. Bente's suggestion of the recipe that came with the mixer is a good idea.

Cheers, Erik
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Seek and ye shall find,
    just go to the cookbook section of the forum and there are several recipes for the making
    add a personal twist and incorporate whatever herbs and spices during the mixing stage and then you can call it "GOURMET"

actually pretty simple stuff, flour, yeast, sugar, water,elbow grease, time = momma mia!
  • Here’s a link to a forum for crafting pizzas.
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

If you are like some here that have a passion for VPN or New York pizza you can check out the often-referenced Jeff Varasano site.
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

TTFN WLL
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    3/4 cup warm water
    4 tsp sugar
    1 tsp olive oil, not EVOO
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp active dry yeast
    2 cups high gluten(bread)flour

Knead with dough hook in KA mixer on low speed for 15 minutes. Spray the inside of a gallon sized ziplock bag with Pam and put dough in the bag. Fold the bag over so the dough is sitting on the seal and let rise in a warm place for an hour. Punch down and put into the fridge for at least 12 and up to 24 hours. -RP
  • Not that I don’t think the Kitchen Aid is a good mixer (I do have one), but a good wooden spoon, med. sized bowl and your fists will do just as well…and it is easier to clean up, at least in my mind.
    Here is a recipe that I have used for 30 years! It’s good and is a never fail…

MOM'S PIZZA DOUGH
    Dad’s Kitchen
    (This is enough dough for two 13 to 15” thin crusts and freezes well too)

1 pk. Dry yeast
    1 C. warm (100 F.) water
    1 t. sugar
    1 t. salt
    2 T. olive oil
    2-1/2 C. flour (all purpose / un bleached)
    1/2 C. (give or take) additional flour for the knead

1)) Dissolve the yeast in the water and let stand for about 5 minutes.

2)) Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well with a spoon.

3)) In the bowl…Add small amounts of the “kneading” flour, punching in with your fist until the dough cleanly pulls away from the sides of the bowl. This will take, more or less, about ½ C.

4)) Using you hands spread / stretch the dough to the desired shape
  • i have been making pizza for about 15 years....but, i make the dough in the cuisinart....very easy....just put in the dry ingredients, turn it on and then ad the hot water. you may need to ad a little more water a tbl spoon at a time until the dough gets moist enough to ball up and rotate around the bowl.

3 C. unbleached bread four
    1 pkg. instant rapid rise yeast
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 C. water (hot enough to activate the yeast 110 deg.)

grease a large bowl, cover with saran wrap, let stand for about an hour at 80 plus degrees until it rises (doubles in volumn)

flour your counter and prepare your dough to put on a pizza peel or pizza screen or pan.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Try this....no mixer involved B)

No-Knead Pizza Dough

3 cups bread flour
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp instant yeast
    1 cup luke warm water
    3 Tbs olive oil

Mix the dry ingredients together, add the water, then the olive oil. Shape into a ball and put into a bowl sprayed with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 2 hours minimum. Roll out on a floured board and let rise for another ½ hour. Then spray the top of the dough with olive oil to prevent the toppings from seeping into the dough. Add toppings and bake in BGE for 12 minutes at 425 high up in the dome. Use platesetter, then woo ring, grid on top then the pizza stone.
  • I own a large Kitchen Aid mixer and have only used it once making dough. I prefer to use my hands and knead it myself. It gives you constant feedback on not enough flour, to much, etc. It is also therapeutic.
  • Here's one I came up with ...

1 cup warm water
    ¼ cup olive oil
    2 tablespoons honey or turbinado sugar
    1 teaspoon rapid rise yeast
    3 ½ cups bread flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    2 teaspoons garlic powder

Full writeup on the cook, including instructions for making the dough in a stand mixer, located at: http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/07/recipe-pizza-al.html

This came out really well. I was really happy with the crust.

Enjoy!

-John
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Here's the one I use.

NEW YORK PIZZA DOUGH

15.5 OZ BREAD FLOUR
    9.8 OZ WATER AT RM TEMP 78*
    0.30 OZ SALT (about 1.25Tsp)
    0.25 OZ SUGAR (about 1.25 Tsp)
    1.25 Tsp OLIVE OIL
    1/2 Tsp + Pinch INSTANT DRY YEAST (can use rapid rise)

MAKES 2 - 12" PIES Can freeze right after it goes into the container.

Bake on bge @ 500* 8-12 min.
    Use pizza stone

Put water, salt, and sugar into bowl of stand mixer, stir to dissolve. Combine flour and yeast, gradually add to bowl, using dough hook at low speed. Add rest of flour , continue about 2 min. , add olive oil and knead until incorporated into dough ball. Knead 5 minutes total. Remove from dough hook, divide into 2 equal parts, shape into rounds and place in oiled containers. Cover and refrigerate 24-48 hrs.
    For use, remove from container, dust with flour, cover with cloth allow
    2-3 hrs for rm temp. Shape, dress & bake.
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    I started making my pizza dough with my KA stand mixer, then went to my Cuisenart food processor the the bread setting. I was on vacation last week, and made pizza's a few times, but didn't have either available. I think I'm a convert to hand mixing. It's easier and just as quick, the cleanup is much easier, and I find I have better control over the dough.

A few things to consider.

1) If you are looking for a thin crust at high temps you want little to no additives such as evoo, sugars, etc.

2) Thicker crusts should be cooked at lower temps and can/should have some of the additives above to help with texture, color & flavor. A greating browning additive is powdered milk.

3) Higher temps give you oven spring

4) The longer the rise time, the more fermentation the dough will have which creates more flavor.

5) Shorter rise times are fine, use more yeast and feed it. (ie sugar, honey, powdered milk, etc.)

6) Don't (Don't Don't Don't) use a rolling pin to make your crust, unless you want a 'cracker' crust. This will have little oven spring, and will be crispy/crunchy, like a cracker.

7) Don't overwork your dough when your forming your crust. It will break down the dough and make it tough. Just enough to get it the way you want.

8) Your dough should be wet enough to be sticky, but dry enough not to stick! :blink: Make a few batches, you'll understand.

9) The best tool you can have for repeatable results is a good digital kitchen scale. My recipe produces 1057g of dough, almost every time.

Here's my recipe for a ny style high temp dough. It's silky, smooth and stretches nicely. This is enough for 3 - 350 g balls or 15"-16" pizzas.

650 g bread flour or hi gluten flour--Aprx 4 cups
    405 g cool water
    Aprx 1 3/4 Cups
    3 g IDY (Instant Dry Yeast)
    1/2 pkg
    3 g Evoo (This helps me keep the hydration hi without the dough sticking as much)---Aprx tsp
    3 g Salt
    3 pinches

I combine the flour & yeast in a large bowl and then add the water. Knead until consistent, and then let rest a min of 20 minutes. After rest add the evoo and knead, then add the salt & knead. Seperate into 3 350 g balls. At this time you can either put them in sealed, oiled containers in the fridge for 24 - 48 hours, or vacuum pack and freeze for future use.

When I make specialty pizza's in my 14" cast iron skillet (on my gas grill) I'll add 3-4g of powdered milk (when making the dough) to brown the crust nicely, and liberally oil the pan.

Good luck, experiment and enjoy!
  • Wow, there are a lot of great suggestions for me to consider. You have to love this forum and all of the useful advice that is provided. Thanks everyone.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital