Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much lump?

Options
Klag
Klag Posts: 208
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For a long, over night cook - how far do you fill the Egg with lump?

The bottom internal piece is the fire box, then there is a fire ring on top of that. Do I fill lump to the top of the ring? Or just to the top of the bottom piece (fire box itself).

I have a medium Egg.

Thanks!
:)

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Hi Klag,
    I guess it depends on a couple of factors. What kind of lump are you using... and How big are the butts?

I cooked on my Dad's Medium BGE the 4th of July two 6 pound butts and cooked them overnight. I was using Royal Oak and I filled his egg just slightly above the firebox no more than half way in the fire ring maybe less. Mom and Dad were pleased with the cook so much they still bring it up :blush:

I got the egg dome temp to 250.. Platesetter legs up with aluminum pan underneath the grate butts cooked for about 14 hours if I remember correctly :whistle:

Remember to light the lump in about three places so that it burns down evenly.

GOOD LUCK, PHARMEGGIST
  • Klag
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I don't have the butt yet, but the longest time I was able to hold a steady 250 temp was about 10 hours - then all my lump was gone (just ash). I don't have a gasket, haven't for years and I know this is playing a large factor. Was wondering if prehaps I could just fill with lump to the top of the fire ring to make it last longer.

But, 99% of my cooks are super high heat so I don't even want a new gasket :)
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Haven't tried it.... My Dad's medium egg has a night tight gasket. Maybe take a look at the naked whiz site at lump reviews www.nakedwhiz.com. Maybe you could get some lump that burns extra long like WICKED GOOD.
    GOOD LUCK Pharmeggist
    Also keep in mind cooking smaller butts as an option too!
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    There's the ticket.
    Cut the butts in half.
    Faster cook AND more bark.
    Win - Win!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Top of the Firebox.

It won't hurt to go higher, but it's not really necessary.
  • Klag
    Options
    Michael B wrote:
    There's the ticket.
    Cut the butts in half.
    Faster cook AND more bark.
    Win - Win!

Haha! Awesome idea! I think I might just do that. 8 pounder cut in half take about 8-10 hours if they arent touching eh?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Not necessarily true.

Klags best bet is to replace the gasket and use a good lump.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    you can even fill it higher than the fire ring and balance the grill on it, my first few cooks were done that way til i got the hang of it. also if its really windy i have a rutland gasket that i just lay down on the lip for a better seal. i dont glue it down, i just use it if i know the wind is really going to pick up from across the lake. after loosing your gasket did you reset the dome, some of that space can be removed by reseating it, it wont be perfect, but will be to your advantage
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have a medium and fill the lump to within 1 inch of the top of the fire RING for long cooks. Can do 16+ hours of 250 dome cooks. Biggest pieces on the bottom and smallest on the top. I light it at 9, 12, and 3 o'clock locations.