Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing Gasket & Cleaning.

Willie
Willie Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to replace the gasket on my medium, and clean the two surfaces before installing the new one. What kind of cleaner should I use?. Thanks for any help. Willie. :)

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Wille,

There are some adhesive cleaners out there that are extremely effective. However, I was told from BGE not to use any power type devices and not to use Goo-Gone or products like that.

Use, acetone or rubbing alcohol according to the instructions.

To remove as per instructions use a flat-edged scraper.

Some folks are using propane or MAPP and working in short lengths at a time. 6 to 10 inches.

I heated my egg up once and left the dome open enough to expose the gaskets in the back of the egg. I was working with hot ceramics and burning lump but the gasket came off top and bottom in about 5 minutes with a flat-edged scraper.

I think probane or MAPP would be easier and probably quicker.

GG
  • Getting the surfaces completely clean is the key to a good application. Use acetone, a one inch (or so) sharp chizzel, then more acetone and a small copper or wire brush, then more acetone and a terry towel and scrubb like crazy. S'not too bad. Took me about an hour in total.
  • I changed my gasket about 2 months ago on an XL. I used an razor blade scrapper for phase one. It made short work of the burnt melted felt.
    Phase 2 I used green scotch brite pad and 91% rubbing alcohol. It cleaned the adhesive rest in short time.
    Good luck with it.

JFE
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Many thanks for your help, I will get this done over the weekend. Thanks aslo to GG and DG.Bon Appetit, Willie