Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bbq guru use for jerky

bobbyb
bobbyb Posts: 1,349
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to do my first attempt at making jerky, and recall a procedure using the guru by wrapping the meat probe and the pit probe together with tin foil and then operate in ramp mode. I tried to find a reference to this in the archives, but no luck. It's dangerous for me to rely on my memory, so was wondering is someone could verify this procedure for me? Also is there a recommended temp for smoking jerky?

Thanks,

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    no guru here, but i shoot for 145 degrees and try not to let it spike past 175 dome.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bobbyb
    Thanks Fishless, appreciate the advice.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    You can just clip the pit probe to the meat probe then set the meat temp for what you want the pit temp to be. And you do have to be in the ramp mode. -RP

jerky.jpg
  • bobbyb
    Thanks Randy. So to be clear, you set the meat temp to what you want the pit temp to be, eg. 145 deg, and then the pit temp setting to the lowest possible, right?
    Appreciate the info.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    You got it. -RP
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Maybe it has to do with the model of guru, cuz that last time i did jerky i had to do just as you mentioned - wrap the meat and pit probe together and start in the ramp mode in order to achieve a low enough temp. Of course, I have the old model.

2006_0813FoodandSuch8_140006.jpg

That' the way I did it (wrap and ramp) as you can see (I think) the foiled bunch on the tray. It worked out great by the way.
  • bobbyb
    Thanks again Randy.
  • bobbyb
    Looks like the same one I have, the Competitor.
  • I recently picked up a Competitor model. Was cooking some steak the other night and anxious to try it out, so I decided to use the fan to help light the egg and heat it up faster. I just set both probes outside the egg and turned off the meat probe so it would run the fan on high the whole time. The fan came on just fine, blowing strong. I installed the fan, lit my egg as usual with rubbing alcohol, and went in to prep the meat. I came back out about 15 minutes later expecting it to be 600+ and the fire was almost completely out! With the rubbing alcohol method it is always up to at least 400 in 15 minutes and usually higher so I expected the guru to really speed it along. The fan was still going strong but apparently it was not enough. Is this thing any good for fast lighting or only good for slow and low?

Regarding the jerky: I used to make my own years ago and I have sampled almost every brand imaginable from every part of the USA. Beef, turkey, ostrich, alligator, chicken, you name it. The absolute best jerky I ever had was made by a disabled WWII veteran with no legs. He got sick of not doing anything so he started making meats, sausages, and jerky with old family recipes that came over on the boat. Soon he was selling to the neighborhood and then he opened his own meat market. He insisted on balancing himself on crutches (with no legs) and he could actually hobble around like that just with his arms. He would weigh and wrap your purchase even though he sometimes fell. His jerky was very moist, tender, and the absolute best quality / spice combination ever. None were even close. Unfortunately he refused to give anyone his recipes, not even his family, and he died one day unexpectedly from a heart attack. The family had a thriving business but they couldn't maintain it without the recipes and trade secrets so they closed it. Ever since then I have been in search of jerky which would be similar. About two years ago I found a vendor at a big flea market selling Amish jerky. This stuff was moist and tender, very good, addicting for sure, almost as good as the old man's product. The trouble was that it was expensive at $20 per lb. but even then it would sell out every weekend. So I eventually got tired of paying top dollar and rationing it like gold and I contacted the Amish directly. They gave me a wholesale dealer account and I now get it for about $11 per lb. including tax and shipping. I started ordering extra and sharing it with friends and all of a sudden we have a group that orders between 30-50 lbs. each month. I sell it at my cost and just do this to help people out. If you are a jerky fanatic and you want to try some of the best stuff on the planet then checkout the flavor selection at troyercheese.com and drop me a note if you want any at my cost ($11 per 1 lb. bag, approximately 40-50 strips). I will be happy to order some for you on the next batch and send it to you for actual shipping which is usually pretty low via USPS parcel post.