Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's a PING?

Central IL Egger
Central IL Egger Posts: 260
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, dumb question . . . what does it mean when you start a question with PING?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    It is a post directed to one specific person.

Ping Central IL Egger = Calling Central IL Egger.

Or are you out there. The terms comes from sonar - ping, a tone sent out looking for something in the water. Also, on the internet or computer connection - you can ping some site, like ping yahoo.com (in command mode). Your computer will send a request to yahoo.com and report back to you how many attemps, the sucess rate and the time it took to complete the ping sequence.

You will see a lot of other expressions because a few folk have expressed they don't like the word or the concept 'ping' so you will see 'ringie dingie', 'calling', 'youhoo', a bunch of different expressions.

GG
  • it means you are calling out to someone. ..i.e. if i post: "PING central IL egger" it means i want to talk to you or i have a message specifically that i want you to read. . . .
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    how did PING start?

i'm used to seeing FAO (For the Attention Of), but PING is new to me.

(nevermind, i see the answer above, thanks.)
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Hadn't thought about the SONAR connection. I used to administer a UNIX computer network and used the command to determine if some machine or other resource was out there on the network.
  • Grandpas Grub
    I dont' think I have ever seen FAO. Interesting.

GG
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Packet Inter-Network Groper for us Geek types.
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Always remember the great Sean Connery in 'Hunt for Red October' "give me a ping one ping only please" ;)

Doug
    Dallas,Ga.
  • I cant belive you didnt know that Ill Egger as you were in the Navy for 22 years
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Marc from IL wrote:
    I cant belive you didnt know that Ill Egger as you were in the Navy for 22 years

It's according what you rating is or your job discription. I was in the Navy for 20 years but was in the aviation branch so ping is new to me.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    All you guys have got it wrong. It is the opposite of pong! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Grandpas Grub
    No, that is used when answering.

GG
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    It's a computer command that IT people use to see if a specific computer or device is on a network....and also something that forum users abuse the hell out of for all the wrong reasons...totally annoying..if you feel the need to "ping" a user...either send em an email or check the "who's online" list...definately bothers me and just shows that users ignorance....
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    hmmm...I guess you can see there are more reasons than one this is called the 'egghead' forum :P
  • Granted when you hear a ping in Naval Aviation, you are probab;y working on an EA-6B.

12 year PN with VAQ's and CVNs'.
  • So pinging bothers you? What does'nt bother you? That must be a very short list. God forbid some new guy who refers to Eggtoberfest as an Eggfest. Shame on someone who finds a good deal on something and tells us. 30 demerits and a time out for someone who takes the flesh of an animal and throws it on a fire and calls it a sacrifice. When you see a post labeled "Ping" or "Good Deal" can you not just scroll past? Do you think it's "cute" to be so grumpy? My God man, lighten up.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    lmfao :) :P :) :P ..prolly took the words right outta several folks posts there Walter!!..have to say.. if anyone else was as rude as Wess was there woulda already been 20 posts flaming them...ahh well...I think lighten up is dead on... B);)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the compu-gurus and network guys will tell you that devices on a network would get PINGED for some damn reason or another. like, to make sure the thing was connected or whatever.

but somewhere, an 80 year old guy will stand up and quietly remind everyone that as a submariner, they'd send out a ping or two to echolocate a target and guage it's distance before launching a torpedo.

to ping someone is to send out a little cyber tap on the shoulder.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grandpas Grub
    WalterM,

There was a guy a while back who posted something about watching his neice or daughter perform on YouTube. Great video, wonderful song and very attractive young lady and I think all sent well wishes and commented on how nice the performance was.

Trying to put a bunch of smiley faces in here. GG
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    I was in Naval Aviation and knew what ping meant.
    ASW Squadron VP-1
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    I thought it was a brand of golf clubs. :laugh: :laugh:
  • Where do you think IT folks got the term ? :)
  • WessB
    20 Huh...if you had any idea of the number of e mails I get saying how other members respect what I say but just didn't have the nads to post/say it..you might think differently...and I didn't say anything rude...merely answered a question honestly....
  • WessB
    :):):) And how is that relevant????? I guess I appreciate what you are trying to say...although I honestly don't understand your post....
  • WessB
    Trust me "unknown poster" I am light...you just threw out a lot of history for someone who isn't even registered...I know..a long time lurker, that's fine...either that you choose to hide your true identity....I take it all with a grain of salt, and if you would have posted with your true identity we could have discussed this off forum........BUT...in your own words...if my posts bother you as you mentioned...WHY......dont you just scroll past anything with " WessB "instead of a reply like you posted here...
  • It was a serious question, what does'nt bother you? As for your question as to why I don't scroll past your posts, good point. The reason is, I have a personality flaw, I can't resist watching someone exhibit anti-social behavior. Please tell me we are not going to play "yes you are, no I am not" all night.
  • WessB
    No we are not going to play "anything" all night...I do tend to get bothered by repeated off topic posts and questions that have been previously answered on the screen in front of posters who don't care to take the time to read the forum...but I can at least reply to the proper post... :laugh:
  • LOL, you got me on the posting in the proper spot. When responding to "what temp to cook..." you can put the response anywhere you want, but when going "toe to toe" with someone, take the time to post in the right spot. I got a good laugh out of that one myself.