Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin

Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any tried and true methods of doing up a beef tenderloin.[p]I would like to move from chicken and pork to some beef dishes as well...[p]thanks..[p]Mop

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Mop,
    I recently tried this one and it was so good, we used it on the other half of the loin two days later. Let me know how your results are if you try it... I cooked it at 300* until done. [p]Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Golden Beet and Blue Cheese Puree [p]
    (3 pound) beef tenderloin
    4 ounces olive oil
    4 cloves minced garlic
    2 chopped shallots
    2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
    4 ounces balsamic vinegar
    2 fresh bay leaves
    2 large golden beets
    1 cup chicken stock
    4 ounces Maytag blue cheese
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    Arugula, cleaned and de-stemmed, for garnish[p]Place tenderloin in a non-reactive container. Whisk together olive oil, garlic, shallots, rosemary and vinegar. Pour marinade over tenderloin and place in refrigerator for 8 hours. Peel and roughly chop the beets. Place in sauce pot with bay leaf, chicken stock, and salt. Simmer until beets are tender. Place mixture in blender and puree until smooth. With machine running, crumble in the blue cheese. Remove beet sauce from blender and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Heat grill. Grill tenderloin until medium rare, about 20 minutes total, turning the tenderloin to cook evenly. Let tenderloin rest for 10 minutes before slicing into 12 (4-ounce) pieces. Drizzle beef with beet sauce and garnish with arugula and serve.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Mop
    Wardster, thanks for the lead.....was there any distinct flavor that came out with that recipe/technique that you could pinpoint or did the 'beef' flavor still come through?[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Wardster,[p]You didn't metion this, but do you sear the tenderloin first?[p]-Tom
  • Mop
    Freak, from what I gathered, you simply 'grill'...[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • Rib-Rob
    Rib-Rob Posts: 66
    Mop,
    I've had great luck coating tenderloins with olive oil and some Montreal Seasoning, then grilling on a raised grid at 400 degrees, turning every 8 minutes or so. I got that from this forum somewhere, and thanks to whomever suggested it.

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Mop,[p]I throught so too. I sear all sides of the meat first and then cook at 220 until internal temp is 140-ish.[p]Searing will seal the meat and increases the yield by retaining more of the juices. A slow cook will make a nice medium-rare tenderloin throughout.[p]-Tom
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Freak,[p]Your process sounds great, but I'm offering a correction concering searing. Searing is a wonderful thing to do to red meats, but just a FYI it doesn't seal in any juices. Just isn't possible, however that Malliard Reaction is certainly your friend by providing that wonderful depth of flavor and a great crust.
    [p]Ashley

• Mop
    Rib-Rob, sounds good, tha IS one expensive cut of meat too isn`t it![p]Mop
    [/b]
  • Wardster
    Mop,
    You are correct Mop, I just grilled it. I have seared them in the past but did not with this recipe. Please let me know if you try it and what your thoughts are...
    Tenderloin is a pricy piece of meat, not one to take too many chances on...

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster
    Mop,
    I use the recipe due to the fact that the beef flavor does come through. At that price, I don't want to overpower it, just enhance it.
    The Drunken Loin recipe is good, but for me, it overpowers the meat.
    We like this one the best. The sauce is wonderful too... a great compliment to the dish. It too, does not overpower the meat.
    I thought about cooking this at this years eggtoberfest. I think it's best to observe my first one, cook next year...

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    funny how the whole idea of searing to preserve moisture continues to be taught, even on some serious "foodie" programs, etc. but it does taste awful good!
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Mop,
    Here is a link to my experience with whole tenderloin.
    You can't go wrong as long as you do not overcook it.
    The stuff sure can be pricey though!

[ul][li]ravnhaus tenderloin[/ul]
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    third times a charm I hope!

[ul][li]tenderloin[/ul]
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Mop,
    Try the link below, it's one of my family's favorites.
    B D

[ul][li]Stuffed Tenderlion[/ul]