Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear w/smokiness strategy??

Options
Peter Creasey
Peter Creasey Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am sold on the merits of reverse searing. I prefer to do the first stage (slow cooking) in my kitchen oven.

Next of course is the searing 2 minutes per side with flavorful wood chips added to the fire right before the meat is put on.

I believe this furnished plenty of smokiness to the meat. Does anyone have strong feelings in agreement or to the contrary?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i often add a chip or even a couple twigs to the fire when searing. i have an oak in my yard right near the grill, and it drops twigs all the time. while i'm standing there cooking, i'll pick one or two up and toss them in. warnings against wood with bark are a little (maybe a lot) overblown, and i have always find the smell and taste to be as good as when using chunks without bark.

i do try to ease off on the smoke with many cooks just so that it's not always smoke smoke and more smoke. but i am a big fan of adding it too, even when not low and slow. i add it to pizza all the time.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    Perhaps I should clarify my question.

I am asking if anyone thinks it is a mistake to do the first (slow) stage of cooking in my kitchen oven rather than in the BGE with smoke.

I feel that using the kitchen oven works fine and the meat gets plenty of smokiness from the wood chips added to the charwood fire in the BGE for the searing stage.

What is the thinking on this? Is it all right to do the first stage in the kitchen oven?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If it works for you, then it's alright. All that matters is that you and the people you are cooking for are pleased with the end result.
  • Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    Options
    I am with Fidel, to each his own and if you like the end results thats all that counts.

Happy Egging,

js
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    agree with above and my favorite is wood for the roast (not much)high in the dome at 400 till 100 internal then open the vents (the wood burns up in minutes) then back on in the bottom of the rig. Flames are roaring then so it's only a minute a side but thats just us.

2# ribeye for the roast

101_2211.jpg

the rest (not long)

101_2212.jpg

The sear (almost done)

101_2215.jpg

pulled at 125 and rested for 10 minutes

101_2216.jpg

101_2217.jpg

That works for our tastes and doesn't take long. If I have the time (meaning extra beer to get rid of) I'll go with the TRex but thats just us. Have also done the hot tub but was no fun and took the challenge out of it.
  • stike
    Options
    why not just do the slower portion in the egg?

but sure, you can do it in the oven.
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    stike wrote:
    why not just do the slower portion in the egg?
    but sure, you can do it in the oven.

S, Because of the obvious time lag from the end of slower cooking stage until the BGE gets up to 650 for the sear.

Doing the slower cooking stage in the kitchen oven allows the BGE to already be at 650 when the sear should begin.

Plus...this seems to result in the right amount of smokiness instead of perhaps too much.
  • stike
    Options
    well. maybe. i dunno. a nice clean fire shouldn't have any smoke really, and in a large, going from 250 to 650 is no time at all. certainly a lot less time than coming from 650 to 400, like in a Trex cook

but as the others said, if it works for you, then that is all that counts. sounds like you knew the answer to your question before you asked it! :)
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    stike wrote:
    sounds like you knew the answer to your question before you asked it!

S, Nope! I was just hopeful that there would not be a crescendo of sentiments disagreeing with the idea of doing the initial cook stage in the oven.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    As Fidel said, if it works for you it is fine. As for me, when I go out to Egg I am looking forward to interacting with it and wish to do all my cooking out there.

This is for my relaxation as it's what I enjoy, if you enjoy using the oven for the first part of your cook do so.

Regards,
    Bordello
    Egg Lover & Kook :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    Bordello wrote:
    This is for my relaxation as it's what I enjoy, if you enjoy using the oven for the first part of your cook do so.

B, Down here this time of year, it is around 100 degrees outside in the shade. Thus, minimal time out by the hot BGE as well as cooking a great meal are the objectives.