Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yep, that's Chicken Cordon Bleu..

Options
Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought some extra large chicken breasts, pounded them flat, laid in some black forest ham and Swiss cheese, rolled 'em, floured 'em, egg'd them and rolled them in some food processor'd bran flakes. I them threw them on the egg at about 550 degrees indirect to crispen the outside and them roasted them at 375 until the Thermopen showed 170 internal. Given the ham and cheese were on the inside, probably taking them off at 160 was probably more appropriate. Very good nonetheless.

The result:

ChickenCordonBleu.jpg

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks great!!! have not done cord on blue in awhile need to though

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    That is some of the best Cordon Blue I have ever seen. Outstanding!

Mike
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Great job! Looks crispy too!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    That's something I've always wanted to cook...how long do you leave it at 550 ?
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    It was about 10 minutes I think. Kinda lost track as I was fixing the veggies. The recipe I referred to (but modified significantly) mentioned to fry then bake for about 60-80 minutes. By going longer at 550 it meant a shorter time at a lower temp to get the internal temp to spec.

The bran was a change. It gave it a...well...bran flavor. But it was quite crispy. I wasn't intending to use bran when I started but after pounding the breasts flat I discovered the only bread I had on hand was a fresh loaf of dense flax bread that I paid $4.50 for at the farmer's market this afternoon. After my wife spent $3 for 3 slices of swiss (nothing like gov't sanctioned supply management), I wasn't gonna grind my expensive flax bread into breadcrumbs. So I decided to call an audible and substitute the bran. I think it contributed significantly to the crunchiness because it is crunchy by its nature. Corn flakes might be a better choice if you don't like the strong bran flavor.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    He lives! Hope that you're doing well up there...it's been miserably hot down here. Nice cook, by the way!
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Job well done.Better baked than fried.