Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Duck

Options
Slo-N-EZ
Slo-N-EZ Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to expand my q'n out from lo-n-slo pork to duck. Seeking recommendations for cooking temp, time 'til done, and desired internal cooking temperature for either a whole duck, or cut-up. Marinades, rubs, sauces and recipes would also be greatly appreciated![p]Many thanks

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Slo-N-EZ,[p]Brine the bird with simple brine of 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar, gallon of water and whatever spices you want. This will be a weak brine and let the bird soak over night, or inject the brine into the major parts of the whole bird and allow to rest in the fridge for a couple hours. Prick the skin all over, this is something you cannot skip. The fat needs to be able to escape without exploding. Dry the bird off well and season it with additional spices without salt.[p]You will want to check out this www.google.com and type in site:biggreenegg.com then leave a space then put what you want to search for. Here is a example how to hang the duck in the cooker, read this
    post from BlueSmoke. Start off in the cooker at about 225 indirect for about 45 minutes to an hour, then bump up the temp to about 325-350 but not much higher than 375. When you raise the temp brush the bird with a simple mixture of melted duckfat from the drip pan and some dark corn syrup or light corn syrup, equal parts will be fine. This will duck a wonderful color much like you would find in the market. The darker corn syrup with be darker of course, so use whichever you prefer. Actually you can sub some of the sugar in the brine with corn syrup and get some great coloring as well, but you have to let the bird soak in the brine, not inject and do not rinse. Keep in mind we don't have a high salt content in the brine, so not rinsing is no biggie. As far as the internal temperature to remove the bird from the cooker, I'll leave that up to your preference, but I like 165 and allow for some carryover cooking time.[p]HTH![p]Ashley [p]

• Slo-N-EZ
    Options
    Thanks so much. I had searched the archives through 2002 to no avail. This is tremendous. And thanks for including the link, too! I had searched the web and found that the fat rendering was an issue.[p]Thanks again,
    Ray

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Slo-n-EZ,[p]
    You can take a look at the results by Google from the BGE site
    here. If the page that you get is the index, use your find feature in your browser to search for duck. Usually control key and f key. Then click on the higlighted links for the individual posts.[p]HTH!
    Ashley