Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there really a BIG differance???

Options
Samurai_Jim
Samurai_Jim Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I are going to Eggtober fest and we will be getting a demo package. I was trying to decide wether the Large or XL egg woul dbe best. We have occasional cookouts with 8-12 people there. I love ribs and smoked turky/chicken/fish etc.

My Q is, is there really that BIG of a differance between the L and XL? Is the XL overkill? Would it be better to get the L and spend the $300 differance in some Eggstras?

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I wish I had gotten the xl. But to be honest, I have never run out of space on either of my larges.I think the large will work fine. We entertain quite a bit and often our groups exceed 20 people. With a little planning and resourcefulness,not to mention the "rig" from eggcessaries, you can do all you need. I've thought about investing in a medium for additional side dishes. The large works great! HTH.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Jim,

I don't have an XL. From reading posts there used to be a problem with the height for cooking larger (tall) foods, like turkey.

However, there are now a lot of newer accessories available for the XL so that situation may have changed.

The XL sure has a big grid area and it is nice to have grid space when cooking foods.

In my large I have cooked a 23# turkey and at once a month cook for my wife and I, 10 adults, and 13 grandkids on the large. For a while I did this group cook on a large only. I had to plan the meat, butt, brisket, pastrami, whole chicken, chicken parts, turkey, spiral ham, burgers & dogs, brats etc.

The large handled it fine. Since I have added other eggs. It has been nice to also egg corn & potatoes as well as other foods while the main dish cooked.

The large alone handled things well. I don't see the need for an XL in my cooking future at this point.

I believe, there is a thread below in the last couple of days discussing the XL by XL owners. You should look it up.

GG
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    everyone loves the size egg they have. howerver, this question is asked often. the most common answer to your question is:

if you can afford and xl then buy a large and a small then you can cook sides on one while the main course is on the other...two different temp things @ the same time etc... also the small is miserly on lump and you can use that for small weekday cooks for the two of you.

chances of you ending up with more that one egg are very good. cut to the chase and get them both now :laugh:
    bill
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Have to agree with bill.You can cook a lot of food on the large with a second cooking grid or other accessories that are available.I have two large eggs one at home and the other at the ocean.Never had the problem of not having enough food to feed the folks.With stacked grids or other options you should not have a problem.I have had my large eggs for five years and have not bought a small to add to the family yet.It is on my wish list but I can really say I don't need it yet.
  • Fireball II
    Options
    Jim, I only have a large. Here is my delima :ohmy: , I can stack grills on top of each other and get enough cooking space for a very large group (butts or ribs, ect: :woohoo: ). What I like to do is prepare a whole meal with different temps and times for different types of dishes. My plan is to add a small or large to accomplish this with lots of accessories. I think you can get a large and a small about the same as an XL. We love steaks Trex a lot and that temp does not go well with sides dishes at the same time on a same grill!
    JD
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    Samurai_Jim,

Try the forum search link below. We have a number of threads on this subject. You may find some additional answers/info there:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?searchword=%2BXL+%2B%28LG+Large%29&boolsearch=1&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=search
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    I definitely agree with Bill and Darnoc. I have only been an egg owner for about three months, and I too struggled with the XL vs. the L. After owning the Large, you can cook a lot of food. I am planning on buying a small for side dishes etc, just like the guys said above.

Go with the Large, you will be happy.
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    Just bought a small to complement the large as per advise on this forum. Makes the most sense (to me) due to ability to cook at different temps at the same time and feed a crowd.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I concur with the Large & Small Combo...

My wife suprised me with a mini later for tailgating.. I guess she is spoiled by my good cooking :blush:
  • Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    Options
    I would stay with the large. It will hold lots of food, and if you cook much for yourself and a few friends the x-large is just tooooooooooo big and uses lots of lump just to warm up. Just my two cents worth.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Just had a cookout. Did 15lbs of butts for pulled pork. wrapped and coolered. Did 6 racks of babybacks while it rested....

All on the large. works well too when its just the family....

I'm hoping to get a small in the near future.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You will hear from many that if you can afford the XL, then buy the L and S for the same price, they complement each other nicely....and I agree
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    I bought the XL first and then added the LBGE. Love the combination. Been egging for about a year. Either way you go you will be pleased. Just don't wait too long.

Here is my set up:
    EGGS.jpg
    EGGSBACKVIEW.jpg
  • LARGE and SMALL......great combo! Long cooks on large and still have the small for steaks and such....while ribs, butts, brisket are cooking. I have cook 7 butts on the large, as well as a 24lb turkey. Paul
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Given the choice, which one would you pick again?