Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm cooking some'en: Giada chops ala cherry

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well worked of graveyards this morning and burried one of my best friends dad at 10am. Ya'll may remember I did a turkey for him couple months ago. He had lung cancer, introduced me to "real" Q in the 1st grade as my dad always, and still does, gas. He would start around 6 am every 4th and cook all day. Ribs, deer, hamburgers, pork, beans. It as sooooo good. Anyway not a real good start to the day and nothing gets me in a better mood than floging the HD and cooking some'en. Took care of the floging part on the way to get the chops by being really immature and burning a 10 foot strip in the middle of the four lane. Yea that was smart but felt better! :laugh: Taking care of the cooking part now.
Got the food network now and real interested in "Everyday Itialian" for some reason. Giada did some chops that looked great the other day so decided to try on the Egg.

Onion Marmellata:
1/4 cup olive oil
4 large onions, thinly sliced (about 3 pounds)
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar (or more to taste)
Pork Chops:
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 to 6 pork chops
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

For the onion marmellata, place a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and the onions. Stir to combine and cook until starting to sizzle, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and cook over low heat for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes to scrape up any brown bits. The onions should be a soft, jam-like consistency and a deep mahogany color.
Meanwhile, for the pork chops, combine the rosemary, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Using your fingers, work all the ingredients together until well combined. Rub the herb mixture over the pork chops. Cover with plastic wrap and reserve in the refrigerator.

About 20 minutes before the onions are finished, remove the pork chops from the refrigerator. Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Grill the pork chops to medium, about 7 minutes a side depending on thickness. To serve, spoon the onion marmellata over the pork chops. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

Decided to add a little muskidine wine and some fresh cherries to the mix.
1stsjune102.jpg

1stsjune103-1.jpg

1stsjune104-1.jpg

Everythings set up. Time to start cooking some'en. Check back for updates. ;)

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    here's to your friend, and to you....

tough to bury friends and family. but as i always told my wife, as bad as we feel after a funeral, we still had a better day than they did. they that go before us are basically screaming at us every day to forget the small sh!t and enjoy the ridiculously little time you have left. the conveyor belt speeds up it seems the nearer you are to the end.

i told this story to pauly B and his lovely wife last week when we had dinner with some neighbors, outside under threatening skies:

one summer i (well, we. the wife and I) buried SEVEN family members and close friends. after that, in the space of three months or so, you get pretty damn cavalier about things.

i was pretty morose about it all until my uncle told me at my grandmother's funeral, "look, if you don't learn from this and just enjoy life a little more, they're all going to be a little upset with you for their having died and you not learning anything from it.... you just never know who's going to go next"

a week later we buried him.

it was surreal. but if anyone wonders why i don't take anything too seriously, it's cuzza stuff like that.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JLOCKHART29
    Thanks Stike. I consider myself a "man's man" but this hit me pretty hard at the funeral. Did ok till they played a slide show of the old house when we were kids of him and my friend. COULD HAVE DONE WITH OUT THAT!! :laugh: Anyway it's done now. Just feel for my old friend and his family. Suppers cook'en. Got to get to it! ;)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Interested to see how that one turns out, D. The onion marmelatta sounds like it will be a really good sauce, and the pork chops are looking amazing! Yeah, the passing of someone close always brings the important things into perspective-- sorry to hear about your loss.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Onions and cherries are on.
    1stsjune105.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i say, cry if you need to. then kick the sh!t out of the guy who calls you a pansy.

you knew him your whole life, huh? pretty amazing. not a lot of folks can say that nowadays. everyone moving around every 5 to 7 years looking for a bigger better house.

anyway...

sorry for your loss.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JLOCKHART29
    Added the rest of ingrediants including the "special" one. ;)
    1stsjune106.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    first things first.. stike is right.. i know lots about NOT crying at funerals...trust me on this one... it will come back to haunt you if you don't ... grieving has a purpose.
    i have a friend i have known since we were born, don't see him often but we were at each others dad's funeral's. something very comforting in that ... your very presence was a blessing for him..

i am glad you are cooking. it's good for you.
    someone posted this on the forum a while back .. i printed it out and it hangs by the egg for me to read regularly.
    "fire up that lump, eat, drink, and be merry, for ""the years, threescore and ten, of alloted human life, form a parenthesis of infintesimal brevity""

on to happier things
    first how is the knife??
    mind if i take a quess about why you are 'real intersted' in everyday italian ? i only need one [make that two :evil: ]
    you got mail.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    JL,

I did the computer thing at my Dad's funeral. From his military days to his firefighter days, hockey , football and raising me to raising my boys. Hard to look at but it is a huge testament to a life. Sorry for your loss and "manning up" is not always the best way to deal with a loss.

Take care my friend.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JLOCKHART29
    Onions carmilized and chops are on.
    1stsjune107-1.jpg

1stsjune111-1.jpg
  • JLOCKHART29
    I only did 3 onions. Wish I had done 6! Could have made a meal of them by there selfs! :whistle: Cooked the chops a little long and a little tough to boot but a good feed none the less. The recipe was great and give it a thumbs up! ;)

1stsjune112.jpg

Even Jake gives Giada a "wing" up! :laugh:
    1stsjune113-1.jpg
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Sorry to hear about your loss. It's awful losing someone who made such a postive mark on your life. I'll keep you in my prayers for the healing to begin. As always, the food looks great!
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    I'm touched and sorry for your loss. For me, the depth of that feeling of loss is related to the depth of connection. Thank you for sharing how you dealt with that. Cooking does give comfort and your recipe leaves me appreciating your depth.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    That onion dish looks (and sounds) like it was a hit! Going to put that on the list of things to try. Last winter, the kids and I did her recipe for minestrone soup, and it was really great!
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    I too am sorry for your loss. Your friend would get a lot from reading your post. Yeah, HD's sure are therapeutic aren't they. And it looks like dinner was great and the process of preparing it was therapeutic as well. Good on ya'
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Last year my childhood best friends mother passed away. She was friends with my parents my entire life it makes you think. Great looking onions. I agree they look like they could have been a meal alone.