Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nachos tomorrow

Options
ewillie
ewillie Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked some chicken breasts tonight with Dizzy Dust (thanks for the order Scott!), let it cool, and pulled it to use for nachos tomorrow night in the Egg.

Next door neighbor's 40th, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Anybody have experience doing nachos in the Egg?

Almost the weekend, Cheers, Erik

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Alot of the guys have made "stuffed Fritos" or "Stuffed Tostitos" (scoops), with Nacho type ingredients. Very Good.
    You can search archives and see pics I think.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The folks from Rendezvous in Memphis say a blend of white and dark meat works best. I am thinking about doing this as one recipe at eggtoberfest.
  • Geo
    Geo Posts: 53
    Options
    Try the nachos with left over pulled pork and sauce. Delicious!
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    I've done them several times, mulberry wood goes well with them. If I recall properly I just did them indirect at 350. The key to good nachos is layering. If you can get them higher in the dome It will be more like broiling them, which should do more to crisp up the chips. Good luck, Pdub
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    you got that right. One of the best way to eat left over pulled pork.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Toasted in a cast iron pan lined with parchment. Easy as hot dogs.
    Sorry for the bad pic, musta been drinkin white tequila.
    IMG_5399.jpg
    Tip; Adobo seasoning goes good with chicken.
    Have fun!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hmm...nachos. Haven't tackled that one yet. Sounds like some research is in order for some recipes to try out :) Thanks for the idea!
  • Maciek
    Maciek Posts: 54
    Options
    I've done nachos. I usually do pulled chicken (this was in my pre-egg days).

The only time I've done them in the egg was with pulled pork and they were amazing.

I use a large 13x9 glass pyrex, do a layer of chips, cover that with refried beans, pulled pork, grilled onions, jalepenos, cheese, then another layer of chips and all the ingredients. Serve with salsa and sour cream (you can always use guacamole too).

I did them indirect at 350 until the cheese was melted and slightly browned. I've been making nachos like this in the oven for years, but these were by far the best I've ever made. Super easy too!
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Options
    They were great, I did two batches with the chicken I cooked on the Egg the night before.

Plenty of cheese, black beans, onion, and jalepenos. I did them on a disposable aluminum pan on the pizza stone.

They tasted great and had a much better flavor than any I've ever done in the oven.

The neighbors loved them. Thanks for the advice and comments, everybody is always helpful here. Cheers, Erik