Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let ribs "rest"??

Options
Steve-O
Steve-O Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did ribs this weekend for the third time since getting my large BGE in June. Seasoned with Dizzy Dust and mustard, 3.5 hrs at 300*, these were my best yet. However, I realized after the meal, when I had one last rib off the platter which had cooled off quite a bit, that the last one tasted better than the others during the meal. Was it because the left overs had set for a time before being eaten and cooled off? Do most of you let your ribs "rest" for a period of time after taking them off the grill and before serving?

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]I let mine rest for twenty to thirty minutes in a glass pan covered with foil and insulated with a towel or two. They are still hot when sliced and served. Letting internal moisture redistribute prior to slicing and serving does seem to improve the product.
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]I pretty much agree with Darryl about letting 'em rest a bit before cutting them up. I pretty much consider resting time in considering what time to put something on to smoke or grill. Most BBQ meats like briskets, ribs, shoulders, will benefit from as little as 10-15 minutes to as long as two - three hours resting in a preheated insulated cooler. For items that are grilled such as pork loins, steaks, chops, ect a brief rest of seven to ten minutes will do wonders for juice retention.....[p]HTH,
    AShley

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Steve-O,
    The resting temp comes into play very significantly with meat cooked rare to medium. If you take a leg-of-lamb off at 135, expecting medium-rare, and then let it sit in an insulated container for 20-30 minutes, the temp will rise and you will be eating medium lamb (10 minutes probably won't show much change). Other examples of this are steaks and other roasts. It's not a problem with long cooks since the meat comes off at near 180-200, and a 20-30 minute rest will not change the fact that it is well-done. Do others notice this change?

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Right on!!!......Ribmaster!![p]I wrap mine in foil and put them in a paper grocery bag for 30 to 45 minutes. The "resting time" is important to texture, as well as what I call "Bonage".(How the meat pulls off the bone) [p]Someone stop me!! I'm making myself hungry!![p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Marvin:[p]Hot meat continues to cook so I pull about 10º prior to that rare I am looking for and then let it rest a bit. Pull temperature depends on size of cut and length of rest.
    [/b]
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    djm5x9,
    That's the best way.

• Big Ed
    Big Ed Posts: 23
    Options
    Chubby,
    This is exactly what I have done for years. Ribs come out great (much better now that I have Egg) and it gives you flex time to adjust and have ribs ready right at dinner time. Really impresses wife to be on time.
    Big Ed