Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can chicken

cigarstock
cigarstock Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've cooked it on the "weber" a many of times. I want to do this on the Egg. Any suggestion or recipes?
Wife is undergoing chemo and doesn't like anything. Just trying to please her and daughter who says univ. cafe serves nothing but chicken but is wanting this (for the first time this summer)

Rick

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Not much different than doing it on the kettle, but it will taste better. I go indirect at 400deg or so. Of course it is one of those dishes that can be done many different ways.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Good luck with the wife. 350 direct until done. Any rub you like, evoo coating for skin color, corn starch for crispy skin.

Mike
  • Geo
    Geo Posts: 53
    A large Egg can hold up to four chickens if seated upright on chicken holder. If you are going to cook one chicken, why not do an extra bird or two for leftovers or make some chicken salad.

Prep Time:
    10 minutes per chicken

Cook Time:
    1.5 hour at 325 degrees or until breast meat reaches 175
    degrees

Ingredients:

1. Whole chicken or chickens cleaned,washed and dried
    2. Bad Byron's Butt Rub or rub of your choice
    3. 1/2 can of beer (Drink the other half)
    4. 2 whole cloves of garlic
    5. 1/4 cup chopped onion
    6. 1 tsp Cajun Power Worcestershire

1. Preheat your grill to 325 degrees and prepare it for indirect heat. If using an Egg put the Plate Setter in and cover with foil for easy clean up.

2. Rub the chicken under the skin where possible and in the cavity as well.
    3. Mix together remaining ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat to boiling and simmer 15 minutes.

4. Pour mixture into Fowl Mouth, Chicken Rocket, or Sittn' Chicken and place on grill. The beer will bubble and boil during cooking, basting the bird from the inside.

5. Place chicken legs down on the chicken holder. Putting a small red potato in the neck of the chicken will help keep moisture in the chicken.

6. When internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken breast reaches 175 degrees remove the chicken and let rest 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!!!!

Beer is not the only liquid you can use to make drunken chicken. Try red wine with cloves. For a sober chicken try orange juice with a cut up orange in the neck of the chicken.
    Dr. Pepper is another option. Your imagination is your only limitation for different variations.

rocket.gif
  • Thanks to all.
    I am getting all eggcited and wife says she wants it when &*%% freezes over.
    ONLY good thing about my spot is that whatever she eats, taste the same and that ain't good. I have been wanting this since b-4 she got sick in early spring.
    Thanks to all
    Go Dawgs
    Rick
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    My best to your wife and the rest of your family.
    We had a family friend go through chemo and really loved (relative term) some boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
    I marinated them overnight in:
    apple cider vineager
    veggie oil
    mustard
    ketchup
    salt & pepper
    basil
    garlic
    whatever else sounds good.

Cook direct @325 for 25 mins? thereabouts
    I dusted with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin- whatever you like.

These guys are very flavorful.

Walt
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Thoughts and prayers for your wife.

While not technically beer can chicken I put the chicken on a vertical roaster over a drip pan. I filled the drip pan with sliced potatos, onions, and carrots and a beer. Cooked indirect at 375 for about 1.5 hours. Outstanding! especially the veggies.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Hope your wife gets well soon...have some good friends who are going through the same. We'll be pulling for your family :)

Haven't done beer can chicken yet...the BGE can produce some really nice chicken with plenty of juiciness! let us know how yours turns out. I'm an old gasser/kettle convert myself, and dabbled a bit with a smoker, too! Now we can do everything on the eggs!