Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg, Need Tips

Chuck/Tx
Chuck/Tx Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ordered a Small egg that will come in next week and need a few tips about cooking on it. I've cooked on a Large for two years, but need a few tips to get me started on the Small. Many thanks. my email address is gcfranklin at sbcglobal dot net, with symbols for at and dot. Thanks.

Comments

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    I hope people will post here and not send to his email, so we can all benefit!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    It's the same but about 2/3 less charcoal :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Like posted before me not to much difference's. You do use a lot less lump and depending on the fit of everything, fire box and such, your temperature settings might be a bit different than on your large. I know they are with my lg and sm. but they all draft a bit differently so just pay attention and don't assume, I have two med's one in fl and one in Maine and they are not the same :S what is 400 on the large might be 700 on the small. Julie
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Really? So how do you know what temps to cook stuff at? Can you give some examples?
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Things will be the same. The only main difference between my L and S is the draft settings. The S seems to need the draft settings to be more open to reach the same temps.
  • Chuck/Tx
    Considering that the food is closer to the coals in the S, I assume I will need to limit the amount of coals to barely cover the side holes in the fire box, or else watch the item cooking closer and maybe turn more often. But, with the lid closed I'm thinking maybe it doesn't matter that it is closer. What would you say in that regard?
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Chuck,

Be sure to get some firebricks or something to pick the grid up a little higher. I went with the Woo2 from eggaccessories.com and Tom did a fabulous job on the gear. Another few items I would definitely recommend would be the plate setter and the cast iron grate.

That should do you good for any kind of cook. Oh yeah, I also picked up an adaptor plate for the DigiQ so that I can do some nice low-and-slow cooks.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I fill it up past the holes The grid is closer and it is a steak searing machine. You can get some accessories to raise the grid if you like.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Agree. Get a Cast Iron grate and then make this raised out of your ceramic grate:

smraised1.jpg
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I have to disagree with the others saying it is the same..."using" the small might be the same as the large in principle or theory....but the way that food cooks on a small absolutely is not the same. On a small egg the foods proximity to the coals is much less...you can sear a steak on a small like you have never done on a large...your learning curve will probably be non-existent as long as you keep in mind how close your food is to the coals...The platesetter for the small is a very good idea, and you can also see other ways of creating indirect in the "Tips" section of my website...there is no question that I use my small more than any of my other eggs...you will very quickly learn to love cooking on the small...
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I have had my small only a couple of months, but I agree that it is totally different. They way I am utilizing it is mostly for grilling (though I do have a plate setter) while using the large for slow cooks, roasting, pizza's etc. Also, I will sear steaks on the small(definately need to get me a CI grid) then move them over to the large for a lower temp finish.
  • WessB
    Check my tips section for a way to make your own CI grid..
  • Chuck/Tx
    Man, these are great tips and photos Wess. I appreciate all the tips and comments from everyone. Thanks. Chuck/Tx
  • Chuck/Tx
    When you cook a steak all the way on the small, what set-up and temp do you use?
  • WessB
    You can see it somewhere in my cooks section...but in the 500° - 550° range..you obviously will want steaks at least an inch thick 1 1/2 is even better...I believe almost every steak cook in my cooks section was done on the small..but I haven't looked through them in a while....And you are quite welcome...thats what it's all about brother..
  • One simple difference between the small and large: You have to clean out ash much more frequently with the small. There is much less space below the fire grate when compared to the large.

Paul
  • Chuck/Tx
    When I go to your site, I can open the Tips, but when I try to open the Recipes I get a list but can't open any of it. Probably my puter ignorance. Thanks anyway.
  • Chuck/Tx
    Oops, my mistake, you said in your cooks section, not recipes. I found it. Chuck/Tx
  • WessB
    You should be able to open the cookbooks that are in .pdf format...assuming you have adobe reader installed...the ones in the left hand column require "Living cookbook" software..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i believe the lump grate from an 18 inch wweber kettle fits the small egg, i believe thats what i use for a second grill anyways, cheap at home depot.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it