Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt time/temp suggestions

MountainEGGer
MountainEGGer Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking my first pork butt tomorrow my my fiance and future in-laws (it is their anniversary). I have a 7.5 pound butt in the fridge with mustard and DP red eye express as we speak. What are your reccomendations for time/temp? I was figuring about 225-250 but need to know when to start the cook so that we will be able to eat at a reasonable time (7p-8p).

On another note a good friend of mine came over tonight and I did Greek burgers. 1 lb ground beef and 1 lb ground lamb with fresh parsley, mint, and pine nuts mixed in. Topped it off with romaine lettuce, crumbled feta cheese, kalamata olives, and fresh made tzaziki sauce. Cooked them at 400 (would have gone higher but the egg is still in its infancy as far as cooks go so I am trying to keep it low). I'll post pictures after lunch tomorrow of that cook.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Pulled Pork

As for the burgers - there really isn't a need to go higher. There is very little reason to get your egg above 600 degs. Steaks sear quite well at 600.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    MountainEGGer,

You would't really want to do burgers any hotter. The egg will keep them moist. The lamb and beef combo is really good. Try it with olive wood. You should look up Kafte as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    ME,

Sorry, butts work well at 250* dome. Time is sort of abstract. Love your salutation. I was going to use that myself :angry:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Jay,

I have a horrible time cooking to a specific time.

You did see Celtic Wolf's link in his post above? It is great information.

The one thing that saves me is the rest period. It can be from an hour to 4 maybe 5 hours.

I try to 'guess' enough time to allow a 2 hour rest. Then use that wide rest time to save my butt, then we can pull the pork butt.

I have guessed wrong and pushed the cook to quicker and have to try to slow the cook to cook longer. I have better sucess if I have to push the cook to finish sooner.

Make sure you take some pictures and let us know how it turns out. You will be the hero of the night.

Good cooking, Kent
  • jstoker
    jstoker Posts: 10
    If you look in the cookbook section of this website, you will see several pork butt recipes. The typical advice is cooking at around 200-225 degrees, for 1.5-2 hours per pound. Cooking for dinner, and not having a fool-proof method for keeping my egg at a specific temp overnight, I try to get in on the grill at 6 am if cooking for dinner. I have had to increase the temp a bit (maybe to 275 or so) for the 11th-12th hour to get the butt up to 195 degrees, at which point I remove it from the grill, wrap it in a few layers of foil, and let it sit for at least 30-60 minutes. Then pull. Seems to work fine.
  • Alright...it's been on the egg for 2.5 hours right now and the temp is 156 (seems to be starting its plateu). Gonna go mow the lawn to quell my anticipation. Updates to follow.
  • Could not resist the quote after popping the DVD in again!
  • P.S. - the dome is at 245. It started a little higher but I finally got it to settle down to this temp.