Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lost the gasket

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
gasket ;where do I get a better replacement? my dome is maybe a 1/4" off in few spots, of course this melted but there was still plenty of good sealing area. 5 months later and the burnt areas started to crack, that's ok but the cracks are now in the good area of the gasket and as heat gets in I am sure it will burn. Where can i get a better gasket? The dome is not going to line up perfectly, I've tried.Any ideas? :blink:

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    What size egg?

What size egg?What do you mean your dome maybe 1/4" off in a few spots?

BGE has Nomex gasket material available. It must be ordered from them directly.

GG
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    I ordered a replacement for a large a while back from BGE and had it in three days. It's been holding up fine.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Brett,

Did you use 'just' the adhesive on the Nomex?

GG
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    Sorry it is a large. The off part is it does not sit squarely on the base, there is a small spot, 1 at 8:00 and one at 2:00 and it is progressively smaller from the center on either side of the widest point. My dealer said it probably won't be a problem some months back and I noticed their display is exactly the same. Now it is a problem and they just simply told me to contact bge. Personally I would just like a gasket that will last alignment on the dome is minor, 1/4" is not much but gasket failure is a problem.
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    With the replacement I got you just peeled off one side and stuck it down and trimmed to size. Of course after good cleaning and scraping. I didn't have to use any additional adhesive. However it was the same kind that came with my newest egg that I got around last Dec. Maybe there's something new I don't know about.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Your replacement was the felt then.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    My large dome as what I would describe as an underbite/overbite. I haven't worried about it but I will check it when I replace the gasket.

I have a nomex gasket I am going to put on the large. Something I guess I had better stop putting off.

The dome alignment can have a sideway shift which should be corrected by readjusting the bands.

If you dome(or base) is both 1/4" inward at 8 o'clock and 1/4" inward at 2 o'clock (both sides inward or both sides outward) that is a different matter.

My concern on my eggs also is that the top matches the bottom - no gaps virtically between the surfaces.

GG
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    Recently I did a steak and the kids wanted it done more so I put the steaks on with the cap and the bottom closed. There was a very loud sucking sound when I closed the dome, I believe the dome and base are flush but my gaps would be side to side . Does that make sense?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    One thing that I've noticed and I don't think anyone has done when replacing a gasket is this. Do not put on both gaskets at the same time and then align for no gap. I suggest you put on the top gasket first, then align for no gap without the bottom gasket. You should be able to get a tight seal with the dollar bill test. Once this is done, then install the lower gasket. You will now have an incredibility tight seal that should rip the dollar bill. Really.