Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife help?...any help

Options
Jail egger
Jail egger Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The future Mrs. Jail egger and I are registering for the big day, and we are looking to get a good knife set. Forschner has been mentioned throughout fellow grillers. Does anyone know ones that are available at normal chain and mall stores?

Comments

• AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    Wustof or Henckels are good knives that can be found in most places. Between the two I prefer Wustof.

Try going to a store that has them available to hold. Often times you'll think a knife looks great but won't like the way it feels in your hand or the way it is balanced.

Congrats on finding a great woman to spend your life with!
  • Dut
    Dut Posts: 81
    Options
    I have a set of Wusthof, but I recently acquired a Forschner and it is a joy to wield.
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Forscner's tend not be carried by the big box stores because they are not expensive enough but cutlery stores, butcher shops, etc carry them.

I feel sure Amazon.com would have them also.

Spacey - Who has a lot of expensive knifes but uses Victorinox (Forschner) chef's and paring knifes for his every day use.

PS: Don't buy a knife block full of knives you will never use. Start with a chef's, paring and maybe a bread knive.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    The Kershaw Shun knives are also excellent and are usually available at specialty kitchen stores. They are carried by Williams Sonoma. I agree with the earlier post. Do not get an entire block of knives, you would probably end up 2-4 that you use a majority of the time. Don't forget a good cutting board. Congratulations on your engagement and good luck.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    i would get two simple sets of a chef and a paring knife, one set for you and one for her. nothing worse than watching someone put your best knife in the sink or washer. this way you both can get knives that feel right in your hand, my preference is the japanese quality knives which hold a sharper edge longer for me than any of the german ones ive owned. for all the other knives get something you both like, these dont get used much anyways
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    I'm slowly replacing a set of Tramontina knives that I got years ago from Sam's Club. I do like and use the steak knives, but as for the chef's knife, slicer, fillet, utility, etc., the most we now use is the bread knife becasue when you have a good baguette or sourdough a good bread knife is a plus.

I have this set of small knives from JA henckels:
    http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-5-Piece-Utility-Paring-Knife/dp/B00023C6KC which are fantastic for the "small work" like paring fruits & veggies, trimming fat or membrane, etc. Aside from those I use my Wusthoff 7" santoku for almost everything else.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wusthof_santoku.htm

I also have an old monster cleaver and shears for the real heavy work. I'd have to agree buy separate knives instead of a set. That way you're only spending money on what you'll actually use. Instead of a knife block which takes up counter space I use a magnetic holder on the side of the cabinet next to my work area.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-NP22-Magnetic-Knife-Bar/dp/B000CRDDBY/ref=pd_ts_k_2?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    ALL really great comments thus far!
    I agree whole-heartedly about skipping the “set”! Just get the ones you know you will use (don’t forget to get a steel too) and add later as necessary.
    Also don’t use a block or just put the knives in a drawer as this will take the edge off (epically in a drawer) in a heartbeat. Use the already mentioned magnetic bar. Not only will it help keep an edge…They are also, always at hand. I have two in my kitchen; one for the pairing knives (scissors, peeler, pizza wheel too) and another for the larger knives.
    Lastly: I have also heard a lot about the Forscner’s, Hanchel’s and so on…But I have to ask; “are they really that great…for the cost?”
    I ask, because I have had Chicago Cutlery for about thirty years now and absolutely LOVE them. I love the feel, the balance and they hold an edge well. And from what I’ve seen in the stores lately, they cost a lot less. Curious minds need to know.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Only one word.... Cutco.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    fishlessman is right on. 2 sets! chad ward's book goes over this in detail he recommennds handling the knives first, getting a chefs knife and paring knife and a bread slicer to start and avoid the big block. japanese steel is wonderful but it is brittle and will chip if it is placed in the drawer. learning how to sharpen propperly is the key to enjoying your knives ..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    magnet strips are the way to go, they can be used in the drawer but i would rather have it on the wall. something thats also greatly overlooked is the cutting board, its really important to get an end grain board, edge grain boards ruin a good edge quickly and stay away from the glass and hard bamboo ones. if i were just starting out with knives i would probably get lamson knives, my old one is easy to sharpen compared to the japenese style ones and they look nice with the rosewood handles
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Another vote for a select few really good knifes. I like the Damascuss steel and was down to the Shun or Hattori. The Shun is lifetime garantee and people say it has tougher blade for heavy use. The Hattori has a finer edge and better looking steel and plenty tough if you take care of it loke you should any of these knifes. Look what just came in the mail! :woohoo:

1stsjune085.jpg

1stsjune089-1.jpg

Got it Ebay for 92 bucks including shipping from Sun knifes. 3 days delevery from winning bid. Also get retail http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hattorihdline.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/keshclkn.html
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    I used to think I needed three knives - a Chinese chef's knife, a paring knife and a bread knife. Then a friend showed me how cut bread with a really sharp Chinese chef's knife and I've been using just two knives for the last 30 years. My wife uses just two knives as well - a Chinese vegetable knife (a smaller version of my chef's knife) and a 6" utility knife. All of our knives are Dexter-Russell, but I daydream about the Shun equivalents.